Logo

Volvo 1996 58 EFI intermittent power

rjvh

I am experiencing what appears

I am experiencing what appears to be electrical problems. The starter has been replaced and the selonoid as well as the slave selonoid. The starter works great. The Problem is when I do get it started and running the engine will run and then lose power and then speed up again and the dash board gages will go on and off as the engine loses power. Any ideas on what I can trouble shoot to resolve this problem?

"Press (or pull) the l

"Press (or pull) the lanyard on the safety switch. This allows or stops the Igntion voltage that goes from the ignition switch to the gauges and the engine harness at the rear of the boat. If the lanyard is always on the switch, heat/UV/etc cause the plastic to deform and sometimes it relaxes enough for the switch to be in-between positions.

You may also have a loose terminal on the ground bus under the dash or on the ignition switch itself."

It seems to me that you have a

It seems to me that you have a bad ignition switch or a bad connection in the ignition switch.

"The good thing about electric

"The good thing about electrical issues is that they can be verified (if they aren't intermittent) and fixed. The bad thing is that the problem often can't be seen easily, like a mechanical issue. It's just a matter of being methodical and thorough.

I have seen this particular problem occur due to the things I listed before. Maybe start there and post the results."

Back