Logo

Whatbs wrong

G

Greg Mitchell

" I have a 1995 150 Johnson Fa

" I have a 1995 150 Johnson Faststrike. It started great and ran for about 5 minutes then started missing badly and then quit running and would not start again. After pulling the boat out of the water, I lowered the motor to drain the water and black oily water ran out from the prop and other drain areas of the motor. I did not think that was a good sign. What's the problem? "

"Greg... Tough question withou

"Greg... Tough question without actually being there. However, check the lower unit lube first, then remove the s/plugs and check the compression. Keep track of what s/plug came out of what cylinder and compare their appearance. With the s/plugs out, check to see if you have spark on all cylinders that will jump a 7/16" gap. Those three checks should give you a general idea of whatever problem is taking place. Let us know what you find.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Hi Greg, I have some experie

" Hi Greg, I have some experience with your engine and have found that on 91 thru 95 models there is an area in the casting of the block that is subject to start leaking water on #1 cyl.(top right cyl.) As Joe said , pull the plugs, examine them, and also a compression check while looking for a difference in #1 cyl. If nothing is found with this process - I still advise having a qualified technician pull the starboard cyl. head and look for a clean piston top and/or clean exhaust port in #1 cyl. This procedure is just good basic troubleshooting for your engine model due to its history before you end up spending too much time and money in the wrong direction. If this is the problem there are a couple of repair options. Hope these ideas help! Let us know! "

Back