Logo

1994 MERC 150 stalls when cold at idle and hard to start

kurt

" I checked timing,spark/repla

" I checked timing,spark/replaced plugs,thermal air valve,enricher valve, and replaced 2 prime bulbs. I will remove anti-siphon valve before I remove and check carbs. Anyone have any other ideas. "

" Sounds like a fuel problem,

" Sounds like a fuel problem, I have no experience with an engine like that, but checking the lines up to the carbs for blockage/leakage, including filters, could help.

If that looks ok, then I'd look into the fuel pump, before I pulled the carbs - on mine I pump up the bulb, pull the hose off that leads into the first carb, and then turn the engine over (with the plugs pulled so it doesn't start), a steady stream of fuel should pulse out for 15 beats or so.

Jon "

"Kurt,

When you say the eng

"Kurt,

When you say the engine is hard to start, exactly how difficult is it to get the engine started when cold?

How much cranking does it take to get it started?

"

" It takes several attemps, so

" It takes several attemps, sometimes with throttle wide open. Once engine is started it runs fine above 1500 rpm, but stalls at idle untill warm. The more I think about it, it stalls after sitting for about 30 minutes warm or cold. I think i'm looking at float problem. "

" Kurt,

It may well be a fl

" Kurt,

It may well be a float problem, but I would focus on the idle fuel supply. There may be a clog in one or more carbs.

Another possibility is that the stator is beginning to fail, causing weak spark at cranking speed or low rpms. This can be a very difficult problem to diagnose even with the help of a peak reading voltmeter. "

Back