Logo

2011 indmar assault no start

ljackson

I'm looking for ideas on a no start situation. I have had this engine in a osprey boat for 3 years. It has never run problem free for more than a few days. I have replaced most electrical components. I recently replaced the ecm got it going ran fine on a test run. Next morning started up fine. Shut down came back and wouldnt start. I have been down the indmar trouble shooting list multiple times over the past summer. There are no codes registered, the fuel pump primes with proper pressure but no start. I have had a recurring problem with the pedal position and etc body codes. I have 2 carbs and have swapped them, used multiple different connections even at one time soldering the wires to the throttle body. there seems to be fuel, but the ecm is not sending a signal to fire? I seem to be getting good rpm on crank. I have checked crank sensor and have voltage at the camshaft sensor etc.....any ideas

you need to make sure the injectors are firing to get the fuel into the cylinders....the other essential item is spark and at the correct time.

thanks mark,
there is fuel, the issue seems to be the ecm not sending a signal to fire, the manual trouble shoot step requires crank case rpm input and cam shaft input, both of which I have. Not sure if the ecm can scan but not have the proper program to fire??? just looking for suggestions.....

let me try to be a bit delicate....ok...your posts leave a bit to be desired, information-wise.

Based on your posts, you have verified fuel in the rail but not that the injectors are firing....do you have a noid light? can you feel the injectors pulse? Can you smell fuel vapor at the throttle plate after a few cranks?

Your first post said you swapped carbs? the little bit of Indmar data I have says a 2011 assault is EFI so there's no carb? Did you swap the throttle body with a spare? If so, did you use a new gasket and remove all of the old one?

Finally, can you plug a plug wire, attach your trusty spark tester and see a decent arc when the engine cranks??

thanks again,
since i am the first to admit I am not a mechanic but I play one on tv, i used the wrong terminology, and without going into a long description of the multiple trouble shooting scenerios I have been down i tried to keep the post simple. I do know that you need fuel and spark, however, ecm's wont send a signal to fire unless certain conditions are met, as far as I know all of the conditions are met since I am producing no diagnostic trouble codes? I smell fuel, I have pulled, spark plugs to varify fuel, i have neutral open throttle to clear excess fuel. I'm not sure if i'm getting spark, weak, or otherwise. should I be getting spark? if not what could be causing no spark. I put new coil and high voltage module on this spring, new cap and rotor. I have voltage at cam sensor? I swapped etc's which I called a carb, my mistake. I live in alaska and no one will work on these type of engines. I have 12v at the coil with key on, I have 12 v at the injectors key on. The rpms show on the diacom when I crank, and most all of the other inputs show. The fuel pressure doesn't seem to work on the scan software, however I put a fuel pressure gage on the rail and get 60 psi on key up. So I am missing something and not sure what?

well, having the diacom will help in many ways....

what you have measured - voltages - is a good start but isn't showing the dynamics....also, not having any codes is good but don't eliminate everything....the computer only checks what it is hooked up to and nothing else.

Assuming you could smell the fuel when you pulled the spark plugs, I'd suspect the injectors are firing....so, again, I'd suggest you need to verify the spark occurs. I believe your engine uses the Delco EST computer controlled distributor, with the separate coil. If so, you can remove the coil wire, at the distributor end, and insert a spare spark plug into the terminal. ground the plug's shell (lightly, with vise grips) to a good metal spot on the engine and watch the gap when you crank the engine over....it should be a good blue arc....that's the first step.

you mentioned changing the high voltage module - was this inside the distributor? and look like this:

Attachments

• Delco EST Module - GM OEM-.pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 110
ok....what I expect is the coil will spark all day long....but any given wire will be intermittent.....or nothing at all.

From a little research, it appears the caps have finite lifetimes. When was the last time your cap was changed?

ok....what I expect is the coil will spark all day long....but any given wire will be intermittent.....or nothing at all.

From a little research, it appears the caps have finite lifetimes. When was the last time your cap was changed?

I replaced this spring, I checked it last week, a bit if corrosion.

Larry

I sent you a message with a link....not specific to your engine but does apply to the ignition....just food for thought...

so I put the old distributor cap I kept from the previous swap and I don't get any spark at the plugs. I suppose the coil or the high voltage module could be bad. i replaced both of them this summer. I still not sure how to know whether the ecm is send a signal to fire? As I said previously, if all the conditions aren't met then it won't fire so you won't see the other sequences in the chain such as coil, distributor etc work? I do know I have 12 volts at the coil with the key on.

larry

ok...I think what you are calling the HV module is the ignition control module....

is there any spark from the coil?

hi mark,

I found the problem, it was the ignition control module, ironically i had changed it earlier this summer while trouble shooting, so I put the old one back on and it started right up. thanks again for your help.

Back