Logo

Good Reference for General Repairs/Maintenence VP AQ280 Outdrive

What is a good, easy to follow, written source of general fix-it guidance for a 1978 VP AQ 280 outdrive? I’m about to replace the U-joint bellows. Youtube and SELOC are not too helpful.
Thanks,
Mark

Its pretty straight forward lower the drive fully and unbolt the upper gearbox after you drain the oil. Carefully lift up the gearbox and be aware of the shims for the lower bearing. Replace the u-joints while itis apart and wouldnt hurt to replace the water hose and housing on the inter housing. Then put it back together with new o-rings always.

I spent approx 24 years doing AQ series work exclusively, and have posted many times re; the How-Tos regarding this type of DIYr work.
I would suggest doing a MarineEngine dot com forum search in the Volvo Penta forum.

Ricardo,
First of all, thank you and the other folks for all the advice you've given me as I replace parts on this stern drive and the assistance on other engine and drive issues in the past.

I'm going with dropping the transmission method of U-joint bellows replacement. Couple of additional questions. Is there a best order of replacing exhaust bellows and U-joint bellows (over the same weekend which bellows to replace first)? Is there a specific sealant or lubricant that should be used on the contact surfaces of the bellows (exhaust and outdrive)?

I think I have gathered all the recommended VP parts (bellows, O rings, gaskets, hose connector, etc.). All these parts are VP - not aftermarket.

Incidentally, on follow-up to past discussions on where and how to get the external exhaust flapper for my AQ280, I finally found part number VP852644 on ebay. It fits right on without modification -$32.00. If anyone needs one of these items there are a few left on ebay site.

Again, thanks
Mark

Ricardo,
First of all, thank you and the other folks for all the advice you've given me as I replace parts on this stern drive and the assistance on other engine and drive issues in the past.
You are certainly welcome.

Incidentally, on follow-up to past discussions on where and how to get the external exhaust flapper for my AQ280, I finally found part number VP852644 on ebay. It fits right on without modification -$32.00. If anyone needs one of these items there are a few left on ebay site.

Mark, according to my sources, the 280 exhaust outlet flapper was offered as a production item only. In other words..... this part was never available over the counter.
I would like to see the e-bay auction for one of these!

eBay can certainly be a treasure trove of hard to find NOS Volvo Penta parts. I actually look there first before looking anywhere else.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-PENT...m=182454548865&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

It's got a short cut in the flap surface so it can fold a bit in the middle but installed it seats in very nice.

If the website doesn't open I'll try something else.

The Volvo Penta p/n 852644 is for the 290 (and similar) lower gear unit housings. It is shown as SEQ # 6 here.
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7743470-44-17633.aspx

As said, the 280 exhaust outlet back-flow prevention flapper was offered on production units only.
In post #6 (
in this old thread) you can see what this rather rare and unique part looks like.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?441819-AQ-280-Exhaust-Bellows-Replacement-Part-Number-Conflict

However, with a bit of modification to both the flapper and the housing, the 290 flapper can be made to work on the 280;

Attachments

• Exhaust flapper retro fit.jpg
    Exhaust flapper retro fit.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Exhaust outlet 280 and 290 lower.jpg
    Exhaust outlet 280 and 290 lower.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Exhaust outlet  290 SP DP and later.jpg
    Exhaust outlet 290 SP DP and later.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Exhaust outlet styles.jpg
    Exhaust outlet styles.jpg