Logo

Running engine on stand, out of boat

offthepath

Installing a new 6.2 mag mpi bravo and would like to run the engine before dropping it in the boat.

Is there any special considerations, wiring etc, problems with codes from things not being hooked up, etc? I was planning on running a hot and an indicator for the oil pressure light. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks.

Thanks. I've been looking at the wiring diagram, but not sure how I need to wire the round plug. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks. I've been looking at the wiring diagram, but not sure how I need to wire the round plug. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

You need a battery cable to connect the battery + to big battery terminal on starter. Connect negative battery post to grounding stud on flywheel cover.

In the ten pin plug - #6 is 12 v supply to the helm, I just took two short jumper wires twisted them and stuck in #6 put one of the other ends in #5 purple- maintain this to power the ignition. #7 yellow /red - momentarily touch the other jumper end from #6 to this to engage the starter. To turn it off pull the wire off #5 igniton circut.

If you have an old helm station out of a junk boat you can hook it up and have guages. I just used a mechanical oil pressure guage and temp gauge available at any auto parts store to ensure correct temp and oil pressure.

It should be this way from the factory but just verify the power steering hoses are connected togther. Merc uses a small flare fitting coupler to connect them.

You need a battery cable to connect the battery + to big battery terminal on starter. Connect negative battery post to grounding stud on flywheel cover.

In the ten pin plug - #6 is 12 v supply to the helm, I just took two short jumper wires twisted them and stuck in #6 put one of the other ends in #5 purple- maintain this to power the ignition. #7 yellow /red - momentarily touch the other jumper end from #6 to this to engage the starter. To turn it off pull the wire off #5 igniton circut.

If you have an old helm station out of a junk boat you can hook it up and have guages. I just used a mechanical oil pressure guage and temp gauge available at any auto parts store to ensure correct temp and oil pressure.

It should be this way from the factory but just verify the power steering hoses are connected togther. Merc uses a small flare fitting coupler to connect them.

Thank you very much!

Back