Logo

1991 Mariner 115 hp L4 Cylinder liners

Pond jumper

Hello Skipper's! I have a 1991 Mariner 115hp L4 outboard are my cylinders able to be heated out and replaced? Or do they need to be machined out the power head? Is there a place I can buy these cylinder liners also? Thank you Pond jumper

Why do you wsnt to replace the sleeves?

Thanks for asking........Well I don't want to have them bored out because I run my boat hard and the sleeves are thin and another boat guy I know on the water told me his gets hot after he bored his out and he wished he put new sleeves in and went back to stock pistons instead..I don't want those problems....Thanks Pond jumper..

Thanks for asking........Well I don't want to have them bored out because I run my boat hard and the sleeves are thin and another boat guy I know on the water told me his gets hot after he bored his out and he wished he put new sleeves in and went back to stock pistons instead..I don't want those problems....Thanks Pond jumper..
I think your friend is handing you a line , I would ave no qualms at all about boring a motor out done every day on thousands of motors with no problems. But do a Google search you will find sleeves.

I think your friend is handing you a line , I would ave no qualms at all about boring a motor out done every day on thousands of motors with no problems. But do a Google search you will find sleeves.

That's good to hear that.... hearing that guy at the lake makes me think I might regret boring nine out it's a lot cheaper for me there's a guy on ebay who does the service very cheap he's been in the business of doing blind hole boring for years maybe I should go the boring route and save cash I do a lot of motor sport rebuilding and I never take short cuts on my builds I like them back to new as I can do them i beat them hard always on high rpm fun...i will do more looking into boring outboard motors and make the decision...Thanks for your input it's greatly appreciated flyingscott!

Pluss I been searching online for outboard cylinder liners for my 91 115 L4 Mariner no luck finding them anywhere online

I know there are some reputable shops that can bore blind holes.----But shop carefully on E-bay.----Saw a video of one shop that uses a computer assisted machine to center the boring bar.----Wish I had that machine.

Ok cool to hear that I'm gonna find out if this guy on ebay has this machine he's out of south carolina's and there is one cat in Flint Michigan who does blind hole drilling also... good information Thank you racerone!

What is the name of the shop in South Carolina ?------Shop that I saw on video is in Western Canada.-----There is more to this repair / boring / sleeve work than meets the eye.------Often times you install a new sleeve and then still have to bore and hone.----A new sleeve would have the be fitted carefully so it stays in place with proper fit and heat transfer.-----Boring out 0.020" or 0.10" per side is not much , and your " boat guy on the water " may be misinformed !

Last edited:
I don't like honing to size services...I prefer to bore with a kwik-way boring bar and finish hone out to size. That's the proper way to do it.
If close to TN call:
Jays Block Shop
Jason White....931-212-6277
He was the machinist for Mar-Fab ..
Facebook

Back