Logo

Year identification help?

GLE3

Picked up what I think is a 1990 150 proV that I hope I can get running or will part out. Outboard looks a whole bunch like this guy(only with some of the raised cowl decals busted off):

resize.php

Anyway, I see no stickers on the transom mount anywhere. Got any ideas on how I can find a model and/or a year for it? It does have a stamp on the top carb, would that help? Any help appreciated.

GLE3

Carb is 6j902 621400-071 77021

Not sure on cdi, outboard is on trailer and I can't flip 400 lbs at the moment... Coils are cm61-26

Huh? If you can inspect the carburetors without flipping 400 lbs then you can inspect the CDI without flipping 400 lbs. Whatever that means.

Looks like you looked at the center carburetors only. 6J9 carburetors were used on the 1986 ~ 1989 Pro V 150 models. -02 on the center pair and -03 on the top and bottom pair. The 1990 Pro V 150 model used a different part number.

Maybe I'm all washed up here but based on what I see and exploded parts diagrams the cdi is on the starboard side of the engine, the side that it's laying on. I got the carb stamp from the very top of the carb closest to the flywheel...

I did not realize that the motor was laying on its side. Makes sense now. But I don't think it would be that big of a deal to roll it over.

I did not realize that the motor was laying on its side. Makes sense now. But I don't think it would be that big of a deal to roll it over.

If I was able to, would the CDI give me a specific year between 86 and 89 or closer to a specific model number? Looking at various 150 hp yamaha parts diagrams around those years the CDI looks like the same part number..

The 86 ~ 89 Pro V150's used the same CDI part number. I would suspect that the 86 thru 89 models are all but identical. For practical purposes any different part numbers would not matter. You can go and open the Yamaha parts catalogs for all four years and determine if and when there are any part number differences.

Why do you feel the need to know the specific year? If you get to the specific year are you going to want to know the specific month in which the motor was made? The motor left Yamaha with a sticker that indicated the month and year of manufacture. Keep in mind that even though it was a specific model year motor it might have been made in the previous year. Just like you can buy a 2019 automobile that was made in 2018.

The 86 ~ 89 Pro V150's used the same CDI part number. I would suspect that the 86 thru 89 models are all but identical. For practical purposes any different part numbers would not matter. You can go and open the Yamaha parts catalogs for all four years and determine if and when there are any part number differences.

Why do you feel the need to know the specific year? If you get to the specific year are you going to want to know the specific month in which the motor was made? The motor left Yamaha with a sticker that indicated the month and year of manufacture. Keep in mind that even though it was a specific model year motor it might have been made in the previous year. Just like you can buy a 2019 automobile that was made in 2018.

Not crazy important, but if I get this running the ad I write up with an 86, 87, 88 or 89 150 pro v won't look quite as s3xy... Sure wouldn't be the first ad I would look at if I were buying...

Might be somewhat difficult to sell a motor with the serial number, model identity and month/year of manufacture stickers missing. Makes folks suspicious.

Did you look at the block for the decal with some numbers on it? If that is gone it gets more suspicious. Some hanky panky going on.

Ok, found what I think is the serial number. Metal stamped on a coin shaped 'plug' on the powerhead. Reads 305200. When I do a lookup on Yamaha's site, it sends me to a 115HP 4 cylinder model.. Guessing there is more to the serial number that I am missing?

1988 model year motor. 6J9 prefix. Same as stamped on the carburetors.

Complete identity is 6J9L 305200.

A 115 would have a different prefix.

Back