Logo

Carb filler plug removal 9.5 9122R

Sam110

Regular Contributor
So I have started to question my thoroughness of cleaning my carb when I initially rebuilt it as I didn't remove the "filler plug" located behind the core plug behind the idle mixture needle. It is a plastic part and I was afraid of damaging it as a replacement for it wasn't in the kit. So how do I remove this plastic plug? I assume there is an 'orifice or orifices behind the filler plug that need cleaned that could be the culprit for my low speed / idle "cough" or miss that I can't otherwise seem to be able to eliminate as I described in an earlier post on 08/14/16. Thanks.

That filler just sits in there fairly loosely. Shouldn't be hard to get out, just hard to get hold of. Maybe a blast of compressed air into the needle valve hole?? Yes, the idle and intermediate orifices are behind it.

I had the same idea, - compressed air - 110lbs didn't budge it while attempting to block air escape routes. I have attempted to use a sharp 'ice pic' like tool to get underneath its rim but all I can do is gouge up it's flanged rim. I was considering using ice chips in hopes it would shrink enough to get it to move. It really seems to be seized in there for some reason.

Ok, I've had no luck, heating, freezing, picking - it's brittle and chips away if I try prying it away from the casting to loosen it. I'm afraid I'm about to "screw the pooch" with any more digging at it. Can anyone provide an exploded view of what lies behind this "filler plug"? Next step is to try and split the plug by sawing it into sections but I don't want to ruin what may lie underneath. There just seems to be no saving this plug.

Can you screw a wood screw into the center of it and just pull it out? Your pretty much committed to remove it now and replace it with a new nylon one just try not to damage the housing if possible.

The term "behind" sort of threw me a curve as I couldn't draw from memory anything being behind that core plug... I just wasn't thinking of "behind" as being on the other side of the core plug. So I went into my 1971 OMC parts book and found that what is being discussed is under that core plug. Unfortunately, it has always been better to leave that thing alone unless it falls out.

In the book, it's listed as: "Filler Plug" part #312909... time for a new one apparently from what I've read. There's nothing listed behind/under the filler plug excepting the carburetor wall.

I checked my remaining stock... I don't have it. In my last price book (2010), it was still listed as being available.

Thanks for looking it up for me joe and the suggestions fella's. I didn't want to destroy it or what lies beneath.

Yes, sorry for my terminology, "under" would have better described what I was referencing I suppose. You say NOTHING lies behind (lol) 'beneath' that plastic "FILLER PLUG" ! No orifices of any kind that I was hoping I would find that might need cleaned out to solve the idle cough / miss this engine exhibits? Thats a disappointment! What the heck is it in there for that the outer CORE PLUG wouldn't already be doing? Live and learn I guess. Marineengine does still list and carry new ones (if I ever get this one out!) hell I might as well smear some 847 around it and plug it up with a new CORE PLUG by the sounds of things. Thanks for the info guys.

Has anyone else out there had the same experience removing this "FILLER PLUG" located behind/underneath the large CORE PLUG? If so please respond !

The cough/sneeze indicates a lean running a condition, usually caused by either a lean setting of the adjustable needle valve..... or the throttle opening too soon in relation to the timing (see below)..... or debris under a core plug but I feel sure you've covered that.

It could also be a slow speed adjustable needle valve that has a gouged/worn tip... just about impossible to adjust properly. I have cured this a few times with the needle valve in a electric drill and using a file.

There is a scribe mark on the cam that slides against the throttle lever. The throttle butterfly should just start to open when that scribe mark is dead center with the throttle lever, not before or after... adjust as needed.

There ARE idle and intermediate metering holes behind/under/beyond that filler plug. They are drilled through the carburetor body. So if you mess them up, you have messed up the carburetor. Go ahead and dig the plug out, just be aware that there is something beyond.

I have made the adjustment you describe joe. I don't detect a worn area on the needle valve so I'm banking on dirt some where behind/under this "filler plug".

I'm going to order a new filler plug replacement and continue to work at getting the current one out fdrgator. I can see two very small holes in the throat of the throttle body (carb wall) behind (opposite side) where this "filler plug" is located. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is where my engine's "cold" symptoms are originating. Thanks for your input gentlemen.

Found this encouraging and interesting write up on the 9.5 carb in "LEROY'S RAMBLINGS". Wish I had found it sooner.

[FONT=&quot]"There is no aftermarket carburetor kit available for these motors. The BRP part # is 0382048, which includes the float. Available for $30.96 as of 5-2013. I am disappointed in this kit. It comes with, (like most) repair parts for both the early and late carbs but does not come with everything. On this carburetor, there is a 1/2" core plug on the outer part of the carb that is inline with 3 small holes in the carb throat. These holes had to be drilled through the access hole this core plug covers up. However INSIDE and under the core plug is a plastic filler plug #0312909 that is not included. On the one I repaired, it would be impossible to remove this plastic plug without destroying it. Oh yes, this kit also included a old style fuel pump cover gasket and filter screen".

Bingo!

[/FONT]

Thought I would post some pic of the difficulty I had getting this "FILLER PLUG" out. After cutting, prying and pulling it's out. I would discourage anyone from attempting to replace this plug "just because" your rebuilding your carb. I'm putting a lot of hope in believing all my struggle in removing this plug has not been in vain. In tomorrows light of day I will clean up everything to see if I may have caused any damage and have it ready to install a new FILLER PLUG.

Attachments

• DSCN1145.jpg
    DSCN1145.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN1148.jpg
    DSCN1148.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN1153.jpg
    DSCN1153.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN1152.jpg
    DSCN1152.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 107
There's nothing listed behind/under the filler plug excepting the carburetor wall.

[Edit] As "gator" has replied and reminded me, I should have said "There's nothing listed behind/under the filler plug excepting the carburetor wall 'with the metering holes'." Sorry about that.

Ahhh, Nothin finer that a smooth run'in Nine'r !
Had to wait a few days for the new plug and gaskets. Replaced the fuel lines during the wait. Reassembled and back in the tank this morning for a test 'run'. Runs great ! No more "cough / sneeze / miss" at idle. Thanks for all the help and support gentlemen.

I do have other "fine tuning" questions I'll open in another post, so your not 'rid of me yet' ! lol Thanks again.

Back