Logo

Hard pull with plugs in

Greetings all,
I did a search and saw a post where someone was experiencing this exact issue, but there were no responses/suggestions on their thread... Hopefully someone has experienced and resolved this.

1973 18 HP Evinrude - Came with the boat, not running.

With the spark plugs in, I can maybe pull the cord halfway before it resists to the point of almost ripping my arm out of socket... Doesn't really lock or bind as I can heave on it and get it to come out a little more...

Removing either of the spark plugs (#1 or #2) does not resolve, but removing both allows it to pull normally.

Plugs in it were Champion UJ-81J's and I replaced them with Champion J4C based on what I found via searching the forums. Problem still exists.

I found on a Google search where someone suggested pulling the exhaust cover and making sure all the ports were open and clear... I did that and, with a little maintenance, all ports are open. Problem still exists.

I saw another thread where someone said they 'tinkered with the flywheel and got it fixed'. That was the extent of their description... Can anyone shed any further light on that course of action, or offer another suggestion to help fix this?

Oh, hooking a battery to the starter acts the same way...

Any thoughts?
 
Last edited:
A electric starter also encounters strong resistance in cranking the engine over with the spark plugs installed? If so, I'm wondering if the cylinder head has been milled.... increased compression to an extreme point?
 
I agree on to many milling downs of the heads.................Unless you are not a strong enough persen.
My 9.9 really a 15 hp. I can pull start with 2 fingers on the pull handle. I am 75.
 
Pistons don't appear to be hitting the plugs... Hard pull with plug wires off as well...
I took the pull start housing off and was able to turn the flywheel completely around slowly with a socket... The faster I would start to turn, the more resistance I felt...
I'll try a compression test tonight...
 
Unless somebody has modified the motor as has been suggested, or is hydro locked, I have to suspect the problem is you. The normal compression strokes will make it hard to pull as each piston goes through it's cycle. I will have to take that back if it turns out that your are a big husky guy. Have you ever started similar motors? Saying all this with no clue who you are, and not meaning to put you down or insult you in any way.
 
I seriously considered hydro lock too, however the OP stated that he has pulled it with plugs out, had the exhaust covers off, etc., etc. If it were hydro locked, he certainly would have discovered that by now. Unless it is pumping water into the cylinders of course. I also just now realized he said it locks when electric start cranking too. That opens a whole new field of thought. Something might be terribly wrong with that motor or somebody has modified it as suggested earlier. I really refrained from using the word "weak". I remember a young woman coming into our shop carrying a 40 pound child in one arm and complaining she couldn't crank her 4hp motor. She certainly wasn't "weak", but simply did not know HOW to pull the cord. Once I showed her how to haul on it like she meant it, everything was fine. Therefor my question to the OP, has he ever started similar outboards?
 
Maybe he should try my 1958 18 hp 'Rude. That one needs 2 hands, and a foot on the cowl to pull start it.:) Only thing I have harder to pull is a 58 35 hp.
 
Got her running...
Thank you to the poster who suggested the electric starter with the plugs out... I shot a little oil into each spark plug hole and hooked up the starter... That freed up whatever was causing the problem. Put the plugs back in hooked up the tank and plug cables... Voila! Fired right up! :)
And thank you to everyone that suggested the electric stater and I start working out... I'll sign us both up for the gym... ;) lol
 
Electricity is your friend, at least with starting outboards. I just found a starter and bracket for my 1958 'Rude 18 hp. It only took about 4 years to find it.
 
Back
Top