Logo

evinrude not firing on top coil pics

Chadweiser

New member
I have a E10BACRA, I pulled the plugs and checked for spark I have spark on the bottom coil but none from the top even after the coil was replaced. I got a new coil and powerpack and checked both by putting them on my 60hp johnson and they both worked. I pulled the flywheel and found the wires from the stator was cut clean with no trace of where the yellow wires went to. I was told the stator isnt needed since I have a pull start.

DSCN0877_zps4e57508a.jpg
DSCN0876_zps2599ccf6.jpg
DSCN0875_zps79939256.jpg
 
Now you know why it is SO IMPORTANT to find & use the best engine mechanic on any older / used / second hand motor problem.

I am pretty good..............But I do not buy any parts untill I can prove the suspected part is the ONLY bad part.

I am still learning. At 75. :)
 
I just ordered a new coil for under the flywheel and sensor. Am I going in the right track. Some tips on testing these parts would be great. Also is the stator really not needed on a pull start engine?
 
The " stator " generally covers all the parts under the flywheel.-In this case the part with the yellow wires ( cut off ) is for charging a battery and is not needed for this motor to run.------------Note, the one sensor coil fires both cylinders via the powerpack. The one charge coil fires both cylinders via the powerpack.------------I would be inspecting the plug in connecters for a loose wire / pin that causes loss of spark on one cylinder !!
 
The " stator " generally covers all the parts under the flywheel.-In this case the part with the yellow wires ( cut off ) is for charging a battery and is not needed for this motor to run.------------Note, the one sensor coil fires both cylinders via the powerpack. The one charge coil fires both cylinders via the powerpack.------------I would be inspecting the plug in connecters for a loose wire / pin that causes loss of spark on one cylinder !!

Ok now I got a new sensor, coil, coil under the flywheel and power pack. Its still only firing on the same cylinder. Any Ideas
 
Does the engine have to be turning over fast like running for it to fire on the other coil. Because Im check spark by have someone pulling the pull cord while I have my hand or volt meter on the coil?
 
Post # 5 says that the sensor coil fires both cylinders.---It says that the charge coil fires both cylinders !!---I would say you need to look for the real problem here.
 
Bad wiring ? Low voltage Or high voltage ? Check the H V Boots NOT allowing the H V ends to reach where they should ? Broken or intermittant H V wire ? Swap Top & bottom cable if it will reach WITHOUT PULLING TIGHTLY.

See post # 5 again.

I think all ignition parts have been changed by now. So unless you have added a new problem. You still have your original problem.
 
Back
Top