Logo

15hp johnson idle adjustment at tiller fault

leigh4337

New member
Gday all, recently my idle adjustment at the tiller on my 15hp johnson stopped working. I took a look at it today and couldnt find out the reason why. The adjustment knob at the end spins infinetly. seems as though the plastic thread is either stripped or i have wound the knob off the end of the thread?? does anyone know a repair for this? and is there another adjustment at the carbs?

Today i had a look at the carby and only found one mixture screw and one i think is a timing adjustment screw behind the air intake??
 
Hi Leigh, I am not certain if you have had any success with your outboard issue, however I have the identical issue today. Having dismantled the actual tiller arm it was noted that the idle plastic adjuster knob and mechanism (part no 584302) appeared to be not functioning, my request is to find out how do you know if the adjuster knob is malfunctioning. Cheers Jackson12
 
In both cases you would get better responces with year/model number. If you look up the parts diagrams you will see how it works in most cases.
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Outboard Motor Related/OMC outboard related articles.html
maybe the info is here?
G"Morning kimcrwbr1, Yes fully agree with your comment, suppling both the model and year model would be a benefit when seeking assistance. In my circumstances the outboard is a 15hp Johnson model number J15RSSM,serial number G04842479, possibly a 1999-2000 year model. My main request is to ask how the actual idle speed adjuster connects internally into the tiller arm. Regards jackson12
 
Evening, I welcome the repair suggestion however, I am not certain how you describe the term a split ground cable and how to install it, and chance of any sketches? I believe the termilogy that you guys use in the USA differs some what to our local termilogy!! Maybe I will have to adjust or just ask a few silly questions. Regards Jackson12.
 
Morning, I welcome your solution to my issue however there is limited access or room inside the tiller arm to install such a devise as the one you suggest. Open to further input and many thanks. Jackson12
 
Back
Top