Logo

Proper setting of the trim tab on a 225 with hydraulic steering

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
Broke the trim tab on my 225 - don't ask! Anyway, have a new one on order. Called my dealer about the proper setting. He said that with my hydraulic steering, just set it straight back. Well, several of my previous boats had mechanical steering and the trim tab setting was pretty critical for good handling at speed. So this advice sounded a bit weird to me. Seems that a straight back setting would tend to put more pressure on one side of the hydraulic steering cylinder, and over time I would be more likely to have a failure in the seals on the high pressure side. Seems to me that a cant of about 15 degrees or so to left would mitigate that unequal pressure by compensating for the right turning prop. Anyone have an opinion about that? Thanks in advance.
 
i would set the the trim tab straight. you only adjust to compensate for boat handling, NOT parts wear. if you have premature parts wear, upgrade the the parts.
 
I usually set it straight on a single engine with Hydraulic Steering. I think I may have seen it in some Honda literature or Sea Star Steering literature.

When there are dual or triple engines, there are just flat plates (no fin).

Mike
 
Okay folks, you all confirmed that the people at the dealer gave me the straight skinny. Just went against my long experiences with mechanical steering systems. She will go one straight when I get the part.
 
Back
Top