I have a 1984 Four WINNS Sundowner with a 305 I/O and I believe I have an ignition switch issue but would like to get opinions from others before buying a new switch.
I just got my boat out of storage and tried to start it up but nothing would happen. The gages were dead like no power to getting to them and no noise from the engine. I then proceeded to try the ignition switch a couple of more times and I noticed my gages were working and the engine started. The engine ran for a few minutes and then the engine stopped. So I tried restarting the engine and had the same issue again, everything was dead and turned the key a few more times and it started. After running the engine for a few minutes I tapped the dash pretty hard and it died.
So then I turned the Key to right one position and noticed approx 1 out of 7 times the gages would not turn on. So based on this I pulled the dash out to look at the ignition switch and I saw no lose connections.
So based on this would you think the ignition switch is going bad. Should you need additional info, just let me know as I will be checking back in with this site.
Thanks
I just got my boat out of storage and tried to start it up but nothing would happen. The gages were dead like no power to getting to them and no noise from the engine. I then proceeded to try the ignition switch a couple of more times and I noticed my gages were working and the engine started. The engine ran for a few minutes and then the engine stopped. So I tried restarting the engine and had the same issue again, everything was dead and turned the key a few more times and it started. After running the engine for a few minutes I tapped the dash pretty hard and it died.
So then I turned the Key to right one position and noticed approx 1 out of 7 times the gages would not turn on. So based on this I pulled the dash out to look at the ignition switch and I saw no lose connections.
So based on this would you think the ignition switch is going bad. Should you need additional info, just let me know as I will be checking back in with this site.
Thanks

