Logo

BF225 won't start

stl

New member
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

I have a 2003 BF225 with around 100 hours on it. Last year before I winterized the boat the ignition circuit would power up, running the starter, while the engine was running.

A Honda dealer recommended replacement of the main relay (rather than the starter switch) which I would've thought to be the problem. Because I was 70 miles from the dealer by water, I elected to buy the relay and replace it myself rather than have the boat towed to him.

Now, the engine won't even crank. I insert the key, get "beep, beep", and then the red light with the battery symbol over it and the PGM-FI symbol beneath it stays lit.

Another dealer now tells me it's probably the ignition switch.

My question is, is there a way to bypass the ignition switch and try to start the engine - just to test and see if it's indeed the switch?

Before I pay for a verrry long on-water tow - I'd love to do some troubleshooting myself.

Thanks!
 
Try something simple things first.

Make sure your motor is in neutral. If it is not...the key switch will activate the lights and beep but the neutral safety switch will prevent any voltage from getting to the start relay when you turn the key to start.

If you are sure of neutral safety...

Check the fuses. There is a 10 amp fuse that provides the power that is switched through the start relay to the starter solinoid.

While you are at it...check them all. You should have extra fuses in the fuse block.

If you still get nothing, listen for any clicking when you are trying to start the motor. If the starter is bad and will not start, there generally is some clicking at the power relay module (that you just installed) and possibly on the starter itself. There should be a click every time you turn the switch to start.

As far as trying to start it by bypassing the key switch...the first place I would start is at the starter itself.

I do not know how technical you are but there are a couple ways to check whether there is voltage getting to the starter and if the starter is working.

First....make sure the battery is fully charged. Connections are tight (like with a wrench tight)

If you have a voltmeter or test light, I would try this first.

Put one side of the meter or test light to a good engine ground. DO NOT TURN ON ANY KEY AT THIS TIME.

The main battery cable connection occurs at the large post on the starter. It should be covered with a red insulated cover.

Take the other side of you meter/light and touch the big post. Make sure you get 12v there or that your test light lights.

Next...cover the big terminal up and remove the small wire with a spade tip connector from the starter.

Connect your meter/light to the wire with the spade tip end of the wire. Have someone turn the key switch to start. You should get 12v or the test light should light. If not, and you do not hear any clicking at the main relay module, you could have a switch problem or you still have not checked the 10 amp fuse.

If you get 12v, then you probably have a starter issue.

To easily check the starter, take a short wire or jumper with alligator clips on it (wire does not have to be large).

TURN OFF THE KEY SWITCH.

Connect one end of the wire to where the spade tip connector was connected to the starter. Then momentarily touch the big post on the starter (that has the 12v cable going to it). The starter should jump like it is trying to start. A little spark is normal.

If this is still pointing to the switch when you finish all this, go to the back of the switch and find the black/white lead (black with a white stripe). this is the lead that goes to the start relay. Disconnect it from the switch.

Find 12v somewhere under your console (black/yellow lead on the switch and wiring harness has 12v when key is turned on...but you can use any 12v source like running a wire all the way from the starting battery) and connect the 12v momentarily to the black/white lead that you took off the key switch. Have the key switch turned to "on" (although I do not think it is necessary unless you picked the voltage up from the black/yellow lead). The starter should operate. You have just bypassed the switch. If no starter action, listen again for any clicks.

There are several other things like wiring harness problems, connector problems, or maybe you did not make good connections or put all connector back together when you installed the main relay module.

I hope you found something before you had to go through all of this.

Mike
 
Back
Top