Logo

Need help plug wire routing on a 87 3 liter OMC

todd

" I purchased the boat and it

" I purchased the boat and it was bogging, so I replaced the condenser, points, plugs, etc, then went to re-route the wires to make sure they were correct before, and my manual does not seem to match my cap. The picture I have has the cap "pointing" at the block, in a one wire-two wire-one wire configuration coming from the block (diamond). The cap on mine runs parrallel to the block, in a two-two set up. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I can provide pics if anyone can help me out. Thanks!! "

" Todd,
Plug wire routing is

" Todd,
Plug wire routing is irrelevant as far as performance goes. As long as they are in the right order, you can rout the wires any way you choose for convienience and security. Just make sure the firing order is right.

CJ "

" CJ-
Unfortunately that

" CJ-
Unfortunately that is the problem, I cannot find the proper firing order. When I get home I'll take some pics and post a link so hopefully someone can help out. Thanks! "

" Todd,
I misunderstood. Acco

" Todd,
I misunderstood. According to earlier posts, your order is 1,3,4,2.
Don't worry about how the distributor "looks" in a picture or on the boat. As long as you have the #1 cylinder at top dead center on the compression stroke, the rotor should be pointing to that lead on the cap. Just lift the cap and see if the rotor is pointing to the same lead that is going to the #1 plug. Then go around the cap tracing the wires to ensure they go in that order. I doubt its' wrong in any case because it would be back firing and running very badly if they were wrong. Its' possible that the timing is a little off which could cause it to run very sluggish.
Good luck,
CJ "

Back