Logo

1995 Mariner 200 HP

C

Chris f

Just bought a boat with a 199

Just bought a boat with a 1995 Mariner and took it out one time and immediately encountered a severe problem. From what the mechanic described to me the line that carries oil out of the reservoir had cracked and therefore the engine got no oil.No warning horns or anything went off of course .Four pistons are scored but no other damage occurred .$2500.00 worth of damage according to the mechanic. I gave him the go ahead today but I was wondering if their was any advice I could get from this point forward . I now hat oil injection . Can I just mix my oil and gas and do away with the oil injection system? Thanks

Sorry to hear of your recent

Sorry to hear of your recent encounter with an engineering idea with good intentions but sadly in my humble opinion SUCKS! That is the oil injection idea. I purchased a 1986 Johnson 225 with oil injection. The previous owner already rebuilt it once due to oil starvation. I went down to my outboard dealer and was able to get a inexpensive kit which was really no more complicated than plugging the oil tube and disconnecting the low oil alarm as well as simply discarding the oil tank. I am sure Mariner/Mercury would have a version for their brand. With the price of outboards these days why loose sleep over a little extra smoke. Pre-mix the gas is the only way in my opinion. DavidB

" the oil injection can be byb

" the oil injection can be bybassed on that engine but if you remove it that 2500 you just spent will be not protected by ANYBODYS WARRANTEE!!! even the mechanic will not gaurentee his work if you remove the system, bummer for you that you purchased a boat and didnt take the time to check everything before going out with it b/c if the line breakage were true then it would have been noticable before you went out in the first place,

I own a merc 150 hp (same engine basically) and have owned it since new (1989) and have had no proplems BECAUSE I DO CHECK UNDER THE COWL EVERY TIME I USE IT to catch anything like that BEFORE i start it up.... just like you are supposed to check the oil in your car before you start it up... that oil injection system has been arround since 1983 and i am sorry you cant trust a system that has worked for 21 years and BTW it has beem flawless, broken lines are the responcibility of the owner to take care of, and there is also not an reason those lines should have been brittle unless it was stored in direct sun for long periods of time with the cowling off.

oil will keep lines soft due to the sweating of the rubber.... remember science class in the 6th grade?????? place an egg in syrup and think of the shell as those rubber lines... they SWELL NOT DRY OUT!!!!! only heat and vibration for long periods cause brittleness...

having said all that here is how you remove the oil injection off of that 2.5 l merc.

first remove all exterior oiling components, lines, and tank from the block. and then remove the oil; pump. then remove the alarm and then reconnect fuel line to carburator fuel line, fill fuel tank with proper ammount of oil for a 25:1 ratio(break in of new powerhead). fill tank of fuel, enjoy and be prepaired to have a few issues with idle adjustments as that engine has an ecm that is designed for a 150-200:1 ratio not 25 or 50:1

good luck, you will need it "

" Thanks for taking the time t

" Thanks for taking the time to post.nick, youre post was brutal but I couldnt agree more .I should have checked the motor over much better than I did and I am paying dearly for it. Thanks again "

I have a 1984 150 Mariner mot

I have a 1984 150 Mariner motor. I am fouling plugs like crazy I due to excessive oil mixture. When I pull the plugs I can actually see fresh oil on them. Runs like a champ with the exception of oil fouling at idle.

What should I do?

Back