Logo

Evinrude 88 special

T

Txjimmy

" I have a 1996 88 special tha

" I have a 1996 88 special that began to idle rough on the last trip. I examined it and found a cracked plastic piece assosicated with the manual choke which was causing air to be sucked in the system. I replaced that with a new part and it began to idle just fine. After a warm up, I took off and the engine ran just fine for about a 100 yards. At that point, it fell back to about 4000 rpms and would not power up past that. I spun the boat around and made it cavitate and the rpms reved up to nearly 6000. When I straighted it back up and let the prop catch to "put it back under a load", it again fell back to 4000 rpms. It seems to idle fine and is not missing, but it will not get full rpm under a load. I did check the fire at the plugs and its firing good, there is no miss in the engine and there is no notice able fuel leak. I checked the filter at the pump and it was clear, the tank vent is clear of obstruction as well and there is no indication of a vacuum being pulled on the system. The pump bulb gets hard when its pumped up and there are no signs of any leaks. Any suggestions ? "

Hi...

Try looking at the l

Hi...

Try looking at the linkage for the spark advance and see if its hooked up..they have been known to fall off
..check all the linkage and make sure the carbs are opening all the way...TommyG

Back