MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default Does anyone know how much of

Does anyone know how much of a weight difference there is between a Merc 40 and 50 hp? (Late 90's)
    I have a 16 foot Tracker that is rated for a 40 hp max but I would like to put the 50 hp on it that I already own. Any thoughts on doing this?
    Someone told me that because the boat HAD stick steer rated at only 35 hp that this is were the rating on the boat may have come from. The stick steer is being replaced for a side console setup...
    Much Thanks

MyToys Guest

Default Just a side note: I have a

Just a side note:
    I have a 15 ½ foot Princecraft that is rated for Max 35 hp. I bought it brand new with a 50 hp Evinrude as a package. I have had the boat over 20 years now and the only problems I have run into with it is a heftier insurance bill for the over rated horse power.
    Its not so much a weight difference as it is a power difference.

kelly nelson Guest

Default " Jer, go to trackers web site

" Jer, go to trackers web site and look at the 16ft boat with regular steering. It is rated for 60hp or 75hp. The stick steering is why it was rated less hp. "

Default " 40 and 50 hp are the same un

" 40 and 50 hp are the same unless you are talking new or 2 cylinder 40 hp, 50 will be fine on that boat also if insurence gets picky go get an ALASKA DETUNE kit ( restricts WOT so that 50 only produces 35 hp) get your insurence and then remove the kit.

if it is the 3 cylinder 50 it is lighter because the older 4 cylinder 40 due to meterial in the block for the 4th sylinder also both engines are under 225 lbs... i own a 1960 ( old i know) merc 400 (45 hp) whick shares the same basic design with the 40,50,60,65 80 and others up until around 1994 and it is 185 lbs. "

Default ammend from previous message

ammend from previous message

tracker placed a 50 and a 60 on that boat with stick stering the 60 hp was fitted with a jet pump which makes it a 40 propshaft hp motor so there is your answer.