Logo

Stainless Steel Prop for 2002 15hp Mercury Outboard

G

Gene Marsh

" I am searching for informati

" I am searching for information to purchase a SS prop for a 2002 15hp Mercury Outboard. (8 splines)I have been told there's none made for this small motor, but I have found a listing by Solas Saturn for a 9 1/4 X11 but they have been "out of Stock" everytime I check. I would appreciate any information, part number, etc. Tks.! "

" Some food for thought, a sta

" Some food for thought, a stainless prop by all means is much sturdier than an aluminum prop but it will not give you any better performance on the motor and they are much more expensive. Being that they are so much sturdier SS props can and will protect you from slight damages at low rpm (slow movement) bumps and scrapes. Should you hit anything at moderate to high rpm (stump, submerged log, rock etc.) the SS prop would probably cause you much more damage to your lower unit being that the prop is much sturdier than the material used to build your lower unit components. ie: your prop shaft is not very large in diameter and with one good bump the shaft would be bent, quite possibly twist or even snap your main drive shaft even extensive enough to crack and/or bruise the gear housing and seal seats in the lower unit. It is a pain to have an aluminum prop repaired or replaced once in a while but definitely much cheaper than repairing or replacing your lower unit even once. Yes there are SS props available for motors as small as 5 hp. but they are definitely a special order item used mainly for show, and small racing craft application. Be advised a SS prop is not a wise dollar spend for your 15 hp. For the money you would spend on one SS prop you could buy 2 or 3 brand new replacement props and still have some money left over for gas. "

Back