Logo

Coil Packs

M

Mark Hayes

" Hi again everyone,
OK aft

" Hi again everyone,
OK after everyones input and doing everything but the compression test, I seen another issue. The Coil packs on my 74' 85hp Johnson have cracks in the casings, I used clear electrical sealer to seal them. Is this ok or do they need to be replaced? The motor runs fine,(after everyones help) just wondering. Also, after really looking at the motor, it looks as if it has new head gaskets, do they look new after 30 yrs or do you think that they are in-fact new? "

" I have a 1986 Johnson 225 VR

" I have a 1986 Johnson 225 VRO. Vro has been disconnected and converted to premix. Engine runs great, however on the last trip out Tachometer needle fluttered and quit registering and also noticed my voltmeter was only showing 9-10.5 volts when it usually reads 14.5 volts. Any correlation or coincidence. Voltage regulator? rectifier? stator? What might be the problem. Thanks , David "

Mark I also have one of those

Mark I also have one of those engines and if it were me I would replace those coil packs.
I have never really looked at my head gasket that close but will look today and give you my take on it.

OLd head gaskets would likely

OLd head gaskets would likely have paint on them.New gaskets are usually black and rarely do techs paint them.If they are not painted someone had the heads of to inspect cylinders.

"Mark.... Cracked coils may be

"Mark.... Cracked coils may be perfectly okay, and I have used liquid neopreme (electrical sealer) on many of those cracks (the complete coil) if for no other reason to make them look better and uniform.

If there's any doubt of the coils being faulty due to those cracks, run the engine without the hood on it, at night (or in the dark somehow), on a flushette. If any of them are faulty, you'll see sparks, a static like lightning effect, etc surrounding them.

Joe
"

"David... Sounds like the Volt

"David... Sounds like the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier is faulty. At the engine harness terminal block, find the GRAY wire that leads from the engine wiring harness to that terminal block. There will be another GRAY wire there leading to the voltage regulator.

The GRAY wire that leads to the engine wiring harness.... move that gray wire to the terminal that the stator Yellow/Gray wire is attached to. Momentarily start the engine. If the tachometer now works as it should, the voltage regulator/rectifier assy has failed, in which case do not put off replacing it as eventually it will create a fire.

NOTE: I just happened across your post, see below.

(MarineEngine.com - Properly Inserted Post)

Go back to the previous page where the various topics/questions are posted. Scroll down to the extreme bottom of that page.

There you will see a large button that is entitled "Start A New Conversation" or something of that nature. Click on that button and you will be able to have your post listed under your own topic which will be inserted at the top of the page.

As it stands, your post is buried under someone elses topic which started at a prior date and/or time.

HINT: Click anywhere on that page whereas the click won't initiate anything, then hit your END key. That'll drop you to the bottom of the page immediately.

Joe

********************"

" OK thanks I will check after

" OK thanks I will check after dark for sparks. The gaskets are like new blue, so I assume that they are new and the previous owner had them off for some reason. Since the motor seems to run ok, I think im ok with the heads. Thanks again everyone, you guys are the best. "

Back