MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Default " Hello...I have a couple of q

" Hello...I have a couple of questions on installing a new water pump repair kit on my 90hp Johnson. I picked up a book from the library and even though it's very informative it doesn't answer everything. I have a 1987 or 1988 V90. One question I have is about removing the gearcase. It says to remove the trim tab screw which I have. Then it says to remove the countersunk 5/8 in screw between the trim tab cavity and gearcase housing using a narrow wall socket, and it shows a picture. The problem is in the picture it shows only one screw (bolt) and there are actually 2 and nothing is said about the second screw. Then it goes on to say remove the screw from inside the trim tab cavity (if used) with a 1/2 in. socket and extension and it shows a picture of that also. I guess my question is do I remove both the screws that are located just ahead of the trim tab or do I remove just one and if so which one? My next question is what is the reason for removing the shift rod retaining clip, is it so the shift rod will come off with the gear case? I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get further into this project but that's all for now. Thanks Bob "

Default " The shift rod is attached &#

" The shift rod is attached (threaded) to the lower unit. The adjustment of that rod is critical so do not distrub it.

If one of those bolts is going through a "zink anode", there is no need to remove that bolt. However, remove the other bolts.

Joe "
    Our questions require answers. If you refuse to answer our questions, how can we answer yours?

Default " Joe you are right I hadn'

" Joe you are right I hadn't noticed the bolt went into the "zink anode" I went out and looked again and noticed above it was a "zink anode" that the bolt screwed into. So, on the shift rod should I remove the retaining clip so the shift rod will come off with the gear case and then make sure I don't screw the shift rod in or out once the gear case is off or will I be able to get the gear case off if I don't remove the retaining clip? Thanks...Bob "

Default You remove the clip and push

You remove the clip and push the assembly in to disconnect the shiftrod.

Default Just wanted to add that the b

Just wanted to add that the book/manual I got from the library said to put the shifter into reverse at the start. The problem I ran into was that with it in reverse and after pulling the retaining clip on the shifting arm there is no way I could push the shifting unit over to get the pin out of the shift rod so it would drop down. Finally had to put it into neutral and then was able to push the unit over far enough to get the pin out of the shift rod so it would drop down. I hope this bit of information helps someone else. This is a great site thanks for the help I have already learned a lot just from reading the other posts.

Bob