Logo

5hp Sea King info needed

S

scotto

" Hello, my name is scott and

" Hello, my name is scott and I just purchased an old outboard. the owner said it was an early 70"s Johnson 5 HP. The mfg plate says made by Gale Co with Montgomery Ward stamped beneath. The cover has a nameplate that says "Sea King" The model # is GG8822A. I have been told its not a johnson and that it mfg yr is 1960. Could somebody verify that for me? Also I ran it with a 1:24 mixture that was recommended which was told to me as 1- 8oz cup of oil per gal. when I started it ran ok till i tried to shift into forward in which it stalled. I finally got it at a good rpm where it could shift into forward without flipping me out of the boat but it still kinda sputtered around until i fooled with the choke and throttle for 5 min. When i rotated the tiller to "fast" it seemed to not have enough rpms or power to make a light 12ft aluminum boat go for no more than 7MPH. After running the boat for about 1/2 hr it started to run much smoother and could idle down real low without stopping and if I turn it off it would start right up in gear at low speed with one pull. Also it seemed to be smoking alittle (to much oil?) Does anyone know how to properly set up the carb or where to get a carb rebuild kit? any help would be appreciated. PS: Ps I paid $150 for this motor. Did I throw money away? "

Back