Logo

FUEL PUMP PROBLEM SYMPTOMS

L

Luc Vinet

" Is there anyone who knows wh

" Is there anyone who knows what are the symtoms of a fuel pump that is failing?? Is it possible to have good performance at high speed and that a lower speed it is not supplying enough fuel. My 18 Hp johnson does that. At high speed A-one but at low speed it goes good for a short period then it starts to misfire and even hit on one cylinder. If i open the trottle the response is perfect and there is no sign of flodding. I did clean the carburetor, change the point and condenser. I also did everithing i could on the adjustment of the carb.
Thank you in advance
Luc "

" Luc,
From what I unders

" Luc,
From what I understand; if your fuel pump is failing you will see the effects at a high rpm, when the motor requires the largest amount of fuel.

One sure way to prove pump malfunction is to manually pump the fuel to the carbs using the bulb on your gas hose, while the motor is running. If the motor stalls when you stop pumping it is a fuel pump/ fuel intake issue for sure. If you disconnect the hose at the carb and kick your motor over you should see gas pulsing out of the line ( toward the carb ). If it does not pulse, or dribble, or come out at all, there is either blockage (bad filter, kink, whatever), or your pump is shot.
The good news is this is a 20 minute job and a $25 rebuilt kit (check valves/gaskets included),

Jon "

Back