Logo

Slow high speed

• Thread starter Derwin Schubring
  • Start date
D

Derwin Schubring

" i have a 1972 4cyl 60hp john

" i have a 1972 4cyl 60hp johnson.when i give it full throttle it takes a little bit to get up to top speed,then when i slow down to turn around on the river and go full throttle again.it will take about 5 min.to get back up to full speed,it just won't get up and go,it does not sound like it is missing.someone point me in the right direction please. "

" i found 2 different numbers,

" i found 2 different numbers,i assume it is the first one i will give you. j2544511 and 307757-1 thank you so far for replying. "

" found the right # now,VXL-11

" found the right # now,VXL-11c "

"As Willard states, the engine

"As Willard states, the engine is a 1965 V4 60hp Johnson. S/Plugs should be Champion J6C plugs, gapped at .030.

Check the compression, let us know what the readings are on all cylinders. With the plugs removed, check the spark at cranking speed, which should jump a 1/4" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame on all cylinders.

If the above two items check out okay, I would suspect that the carburetor is fouled, gummed, clogged, and will require cleaning thoroughly. There may be other problems but the carb is most suspect.

Joe
"

" I look to buy a 9.8 h.p. mer

" I look to buy a 9.8 h.p. mercury engine with tunderbolt ignition. The seller told me he think it's an 1986 engine. Serial number is 7036297. Was it a good motor, can we get pieces easilly and how much could it worth in canadian money. "

"Serge... See the following:

"Serge... See the following:

(MarineEngine.com - Properly Inserted Post)

Go back to the previous page where the various topics/questions are posted. Scroll down to the extreme bottom of that page.

There you will see a large button that is entitled "Start A New Conversation" or something of that nature. Click on that button and you will be able to have your post listed under your own topic which will be inserted at the top of the page.

As it stands, your post is buried under someone elses topic which started at a prior date and/or time.

HINT: Click anywhere on that page whereas the click won't initiate anything, then hit your END key. That'll drop you to the bottom of the page immediately.

Joe
"

Back