Logo

DT 85 no spark stator CDI wiring

R

rinomare

" have a 1991 Suzuki Outboard

" have a 1991 Suzuki Outboard 85 HP DT85 SN (8501) 104890 with a spark problem.

about every other try I get a spark right when the starter starts, but never while it's turning.

Flywheel key is fine, all grounds cleaned, wires cleaned and reconnected on engine and control box.

When I first got it a month ago it had a bad starter; rebuilt it, then it ran fine but wasn't picking up water; replaced the impeller and it ran fine with water coming out the tell tale. Sprayed carb cleaner in the carb throat and it never picked up spark since. I changed plugs, tried different combos of plugs and coils and wires to no avail. I tested the neutral interlock and checked all connection in the control box. Disconnected the green kill switch; no change.

I think I have a bad stator, can you verify the electrical values?

I removed the stator and timing assembly and spark coils to test them more indepth.

The stator physically looks okay but the readings look questionable. One or two of the coils show some copper and I can get a 0.6 ohm reading between them.

On the three wire connector Black to Red/white show 123 ohms, red/black shows infinity to all wires. Could the red/black be an open circuit? The crimp connectors and connections at the connector look good; continuity on the meter.

Remaining stator wires:

Yellow to Red/Yellow and solid red any combination) are 0 ohms; possible short? No visible short between them.

Infinite resistance from yellow to black or red/white or red/black.

The timing assembly the inner set of coils that turn with the throttle) has two coils and 4 wires. Yellow/Red to Green is 340 ohms, pink to white/red is 340 ohms; sounds consistnt. Other combinations show no continuity.

I removed the spark coils to test them.

The coils look consistant when measuring from the colored wire to the lower or upper bolt hole, but when trying to measure from the spark plug lead to the bolt hole the meter fluctuates in the 20K range. Could this be normal or a sensative meter?

Thanks in advance for anyone with some ideas. I'll try scouring the boat for bad grounds or flakey connections tomorrow.

The Clymer manual didn't give a good description of how to test spark coils or stator I only have one colored wire on the coil, not two). I have a Seloc manual on the way.

Any other ideas? "

" To confirm my previous mista

" To confirm my previous mistake, the stator resistances were 0.3 ohms which apparently is a a valid resistance.

I tested the spark plug coils again after removing them from the engine.

The Clymer manual says the primary should be 0.2 to 0.3 ohms, secondary should be 1800-2800 + 10K ohms spark plug cap

Does this mean my primary on coil 1 is too high (3.4 ohms)? I'll try cleaning it to see if that makes a difference.

Spark plug coil number 1: primary too high?
Orange wire to either bolt hole for ground 3.4 ohms
between each ground hole 0.3 ohms (the regular value)
Orange wire to spark plug lead 2.45 K ohms
Spark plug lead to either ground 2.45 K
Sounds like primary is 3.4 ohms, secondary is 2.45 K?

Spark plug Coil number 2: low?
Light blue wire to either ground 0.5 ohms
Between each ground hole 0.3 ohms
Plug lead to light blue wire 2.4 K ohms,
plug lead to each ground screw 2.4K ohms.

Spark plug coil 3: weird?
Gray wire to top ground screw hole 10 ohms,
gray wire to bottom ground screw hole 0.4 ohms
between each ground hole 2.8 ohms
Spark plug lead to gray wire 2.50 K ohms
Spark plug lead to either ground screw hole: 2.5 K ohms

Back to verify the stator: 3-wire connector
black to red/white 125 ohms
black to black/red infinity
black/red to red/white infinity

yellow to red/yellow is 0.6 ohms
yellow to red is 0.6 ohms
red/yellow to red 0.3 ohms

There are two coils on the timing base, are these pulser coils?

I get 340 ohms for both pink to red/white and light green to yellow/red From the Clymer manual it looks like this could have pulser coils from the wrong year or they're out of spec for my '91 engine.

Could any of these issues be enough to give me an intermittent spark?

Coil number 1 has 3.4 ohms instead of 0.3 (I'll try cleaning the terminal and retesting)

The black/red lead in the stator not showing resistance to anything

Pulser coils at 340 like an earlier year model?

Today I removed all the old wiring and anything that might be causing a kill condition, cleaned and re-connected all grounds and other wire connections.

Looking at the pics in the Clymer manual, my ignition coils and pulser coils look like they match a '85 to '87, not a '91 like I was told I have based on my serial number. Could they have mixed the wrong parts and it only ran before because of some miracle of coincidence?

Any ideas? "

"In case it helps, I took pict

"In case it helps, I took pictures and posted them to http://www.hyperfrogs.com/pictures/suzuki

Somebody said if my stator moves I might not have a '91, can anyone confirm?

I disconnected all the unknown wires and reconnected grounds; still no good.

Still wondering about the stator and red/black wire. The coil on the stator where the red/black looks like it goes is a tiny bit loose (you can wiggle it a quarter milimeter). If this is a problem is there any chance I can get my stator repaired instead since it sounds like a new one might be in the $300+ range?"

" As I understand it the stato

" As I understand it the stator only works when the motor is running.

I'd concentrate on the ignition system, as it sounds like you have been doing that. "

I'm 95% sure my stator ha

I'm 95% sure my stator has an open winding (or a broken wire) The red/black to blacck has infinite resistance (open) annd the coil the red/black wire goes to is a tiny bit loose.

Is there any chancce there's a place I can mail my stator to to get it repaired?

A new one is $350

" I have a 115 hp suzuki and t

" I have a 115 hp suzuki and the spark is too low in the four cylinders , it runs but the spark is too short when bridge to ground an is white , in any other CDI engine it must be blue-red and when jump to ground (almost .025 INCH)
make a clearly sound.
¿DID SOME ONE KNOW OR TOLD ME THE VOLTAGE OUTPUT
FROM THE STATOR AND THE NORMAL READINGS¡ and how test the cdi "

It depends on the year of you

It depends on the year of your engine.

The Clymer and Seloc manuals for your engine will tell you the voltage readings but you must have a peak-reading voltmeter (about $150 or more).

A basic $25 multimeter will give only tell you coil resistance and basic continuity which is a good place to start. Either way you'll want to buy a shop manual to get the readings. If you have the serial number somebody here or a dealer can tell you your model year.

Anybody have a Stator from a

Anybody have a Stator from a DT85?

I have a 1981 DT 85 in need of a stator and it'sabout $315 from the dealer (more than a used outboard)

Back