Logo

1976 Evinrude 6 HP

s_cooper1

" After purchasing and tuning

" After purchasing and tuning up this new looking engine over the winter (new points, plugs, cond, carb rebuild, water pump, comp 75 psi on each cyl) I took it out for the first time this past weekend for testing. It ran great with 2 issues:

1. Twice it just died during WOT, like I turned it off. This was after and hour of running. Started back up with the choke on 2nd or 3rd pull. Then I noticed that I forgot to open the tank vent (and the plastic tank looked sucked it a bit). After I opened the vent, the problem never occurred again in the second hour of testing. Could the closed vent have caused the issue? If not, what could cause this.

2. A couple of times after it shutting down during testing I had a hard time starting it back up again while still hot. Had to choke it and pull 5-6 times to start then it ran great again once started. Is this normal? "

" yes the plugged off tank ven

" yes the plugged off tank vent will cause this condition. you may have a weak fuel pump causing the hard start when hot condition, also check your fuel filter. i had a similar engine 1969 model and never cold or hot had to pull more than 3 times even after winter storage. "

I installed a new fuel pump.

I installed a new fuel pump. Both earlier problems did not occur again (left vent open this time!) after 2 more hours of testing.

But I found another one: after running around the lake at WOT I tried several other driving modes. I found that occasionally (about 1 out of every 5 times) after trolling or idling at very low engine RPM when I went to power up the motor stalled. Started after 2 pulls but had to choke.

I realize this is a incovenience but I'm wondering if this is indicative of another problem. I really want this motor ready and reliable for the upcoming summer.

Any ideas for the fixing the stall?

When a motor stalls like that

When a motor stalls like that it is either too lean on the low speed adjustment or you have a weak spark.Pull the flywheel and look for the classic cracked ignition coils.

Back