Logo

427 interceptor Rebuild

M

mark poff

I am about to undertake a reb

I am about to undertake a rebuild of a 427 interceptor motor FE block.
Anyone know about these motors and where can I get engine kits/parts?

I would think that parts will

I would think that parts will be very exspensive. Try places like Simmit Racing and or Jegs. I it is a Side-Oiler 427? If it is. I has more value on the market to an "Auto Buff" than to rebuild. You can repower with a pair of GM 454's or 502's with the money you get from selling your engines.

"Hello Mark.

Have you dissa

"Hello Mark.

Have you dissassembled your engine for inspection? You need to lay out a list of all the parts required and find out if you will need any machining. Check to make sure your exhaust manifolds are in good condition.
If you need any parts or info, you can call us at 954-927-2999 or drop an email at [email protected].
Thank you, Gabriel Acher - Dania Marine Corp."

"A couple of comments about th

"A couple of comments about the Ford 427 marine motor.

Firstly, you can not repower your boat with GM motors by selling an old Ford 427. The blocks are basically worth $1500 to $2500 MAX and I don't see any equivalent new GM motors out there in that price range. They are now making new 427 blocks (Genesis is doing it for Ford Motorsport).

Secondly, Summit Racing won't know much at all about the Ford 427 marine motor. I wouldn't go there for anything.

Thirdly, parts are available, they are somewhat more expensive than GM counterparts, but people are rebuilding these motors every day. Many of them still have original cross hatching on the cylinder walls, so be careful that youre not rebuilding something that really is still in good shape. Toss the points and go with Pertronix ignition, it is the best thing you can do for a vintage motor, and the big Ford will NOT run well if the solid lifter valves are not set properly.

Here is a site and forum that can help with the Ford marine 427. See the MASTER INDEX for lots of scans, trouble shooting info, etc, and GOOD LUCK. I'm running two of them now, and they perform great.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840

It is true you can find Ford 427 motors out there selling for $10,000 and $15,000 but those are the ones with all the machine work done, with special internal parts, and lots of EXPENSIVE racing parts. By contrast, the marine 427 uses generic 352 and 390 heads which are good but not high performance, it uses generic pistons, a cast crank, a truck cam, a very restrictive 80-pound cast iron intake manifold, and low compression pistons. The result is a great marine motor, but nothing an automotive buff would be able to reuse, except for the block, and perhaps the crank. The heads can be reworked, but that's throwing $$$ at them. The 427 marine motor should be retained for marine use, IMHO, as it's a rare and great performing piece of equipment. The blocks are really the main attraction, cross bolted, and high quality iron.

Regards, Dogsharks38"

"I found a '68 Commander w

"I found a '68 Commander with 427s, what is a sure sign of trouble? Is anything not "fixable" given a reasonable amount of money?"

"What model is it, just curiou

"What model is it, just curious? The 427 and all FE variants such as the 352 and 390 Interceptor, as well as the 427 Interceptor do NOT like the #7 and 8 plug wires touching, becuase they fire one right after another and you can pick up a magnetic induction firing (which can feel like a small miss or the mother of all misses) when under way. That's easy.

The Pertronix ignition is the best thing you can do for a vintage 427, 390, 352, or virtually any other old motor, IMHO.

427 marine motors are solid lifter motors, and they must have the valves adjusted properly in order to run smoothly at low speed and run powerful at higher rpm. That's not hard to do.

If you're shopping for a Commander, or need photo documentation of the 427, visit

http://www.chriscraftcommander.com and look up the 427 section in the MASTER INDEX. There will undoubtedly be some info there to help you. Also, you can post info about the gelcoat, props, etc., and get help, where it may not be appropriate to discuss those issues on a motor-specific forum like this one.

Good luck. FE Marine Motors RULE !

P"

Back