Logo

Want to convert to Electric Start

M

MyToys

" Hi All,

Hope someone ca

" Hi All,

Hope someone can help me. I have a 1979 50 hp 2 cylinder Evinrude Commercial, Model # 50902C. I had bought this motor brand new in the crate in 1983 and had it installed on a 15?aluminum fishing boat. The motor was originally supplied with a tiller handle and pull start, when I had the motor installed I had the tiller handle replaced with a set of manual controls installed at the driving console and have installed a separate ignition/kill switch on the driving console. Except for a little faded paint on the boat and a few paint chips on the motor, both the boat and motor are in exceptionally good condition (as new). I am at the point now that I would like to convert the motor to electric start purely for convenience reasons. The motor starts very easy with 1 ?2 pulls and runs flawlessly throughout the full range of throttle and driving conditions. What I would like to do now is install electric start with a full charging system if it is possible at a reasonable cost. My thoughts on this conversion would be to search for a scrapped or blown 40 ?65 OMC from the same era and exchange all the necessary parts. My dilemma is, in reality I know that there are a few considerable differences between Commercial and Standard or Pleasure models. Also there are very few Commercial models around and I have not come across any with electric start on them to compare parts with. I have been informed by dealers that it would be very expensive to by all the parts needed new and that is if they are all available given the age of the motor. None of the dealers I have spoken with are familiar with any complete conversion kits that may be available. Is there any hope? Can anybody help me find the parts and answers I am looking for?

I am in the Peterborough Ontario, Canada area. Original home of the:
Outboard Marine Corporation of Canada Ltd. "

" Seems to me that at a minimu

" Seems to me that at a minimum, you could acquire a flywheel with a ring gear that the starter will need to mesh with, obtain a starter and mounting bracket, a selenoid (either omc or a standard ford part should work), a battery, keyed switch or just a toggle and push button depending on which way you want to go, and the associated wiring. The only parts on that list that would be either hard to find or expensive would be the flywheel, starter and mounting bracket. For a new starter you can probably expect to pay $150 - $200 depending on which one you use and where you buy it. Flywheel and bracket would probably be used or aftermarket and estimating a price would be impossible. Depends on where you find it and what they want for it.

As for charging, you could use a method adapted by many boaters of just putting the battery on a charger after the days boating is done. In the interim you could be on the lookout for the parts to add a charging system to the motor and acquire them when and if they become available. If your motor starts easily as you have described a days worth of boating could be easily accomodated by a strong battery with a full charge and in the worse case scenario you might have to crank it manually a couple times late in the day. You might also simply add a solar charger to help it along while you are boating, until you locate what you need to add charging to your motor.

In short I think your biggest challenge is locating the flywheel (or perhaps just a ring gear for yours if it is tapped for the bolts), and a starter and bracket.

Granted I am not an expert, perhaps Joe and/or Sparky can offer additional advice or ideas. Maybe I am completely wrong but I dont think so. "

" Ok, I don't need to worr

" Ok, I don't need to worry about the ring gear or fly wheel to add the starter only. The factory pull start is a unit that is mounted right where the starter would go and uses the flywheel the same as an electric start. Yes I could go that way for now and a rebuilt starter and new solenoid are easily and economically obtained. It is the charging part that is more complicated and costly to obtain. Should I dismantle the existing pull start to put an electric start on, then should the battery die on me I would need to pull start right from the flywheel. This is a pretty tough feat being 737cc (45ci) 2 cylinder engine and 140+ lbs compression. The factory pull start incorporates gear reduction the same as an electric start starter motor does. This is why, unless I can do the whole thing at once I am reluctant to install just the starter. I have had to pull it over by the flywheel a couple of times in the past 20 years and I?l tell you that is not something a person would want to do even once a year, let alone the idea of ?orse case scenario you might have to crank it manually a couple times late in the day? (No offence intended). You would have to see for yourself to understand. Over the years I have run into many people who would just not believe that anybody would manufacture a pull start 50 hp motor until they see it.

Thanks for the input though.
M/T "

You ae not getting any help f

You ae not getting any help from your local dealers!!!!!! There is little difference between "commercial motors" and pleasure motors. A tiller handle and a manual starter is about it.Some changes are the 2 cylinder motors have the 3 cylinder bottom end. Some 4 cylinder motors have the V-6 bottom end.These changes do not affect what you want to do.Find a donor 2 cylinder motor and you will have everything you need. If you can't find the stuff post again I have boxes full.In ONTARIO.

" Sparky,
Thanks for postin

" Sparky,
Thanks for posting.If this is true then I will start looking for a "donor" motor now. Will I be safe in looking at the 40 - 65 hp range or should I stick to searching out a 2 cylinder 50. I would prefer to get a whole motor to tear down so I will know exactly what goes where. If all else fails I will post back to get info on how to get what I need from you. Are you local to the Peterborough area?

Thanks Again,
M/T "

You need parts from a 2 cylin

You need parts from a 2 cylinder. The starter from a 40/45/55/60 would all fit. 77 and up i think.The charging system from other smaller 2 cylinder motors would fit under the flywheel as they were basically the same on many motors.You need to check part numbers.I am 5 hours away to the west.

" Ok, thanks. I guess now is a

" Ok, thanks. I guess now is as good of time as any to start searching. It will be at least a month before I can bring out the boat to dust it off anyway. Will post back on progress.....
"

Back