Logo

Water in Oil of Inboard Chevy 350

G

GregLipski

" I have a mastercraft with an

" I have a mastercraft with and inboard 350. On its last day of use last season, it was exhuasting steam and ran a high temp. When I brought it home getting ready to store for the winter, I saw the familiar brown sludge oil. I changed the oil and ran it for a couple minutes. Yesterday, I started it up on the trailer and it ran nicely at idle, but when I sped it up (2500rpm), steam came out of bothe exhuasts and I saw the brown foam from the oil add cap on the valve cover. I drained the oil and about a quart of water came out with the oil. I noticed a slow leak at the mating surfae between the starboard exhuast riser and the block. Can exhuast riser corrosion or leaks lead to water in the oil? Since both sides steam, is that a problem when running on the trailer or is that normal as the exhuast would heat up the cooling water? Any and all help is appreciated. I tend to not suspect a cracked block or head since this first occured before the winter season last year. Thanks. "

" Had this problem twice. Both

" Had this problem twice. Both times a failed riser.Yes water will enter the exhaust ports, cylinders and oil. If you are lucky could be just a bad manifold to riser gasket. Do not run the engine until you find the problem the engine will seize and as Pascoe sez "daddy big bucks will come a-callin". I was lucky in that my engine did not seize. I replaced both manifolds and risers and I check them often. "

Some other notes: I pulled th

Some other notes: I pulled the plugs. Yup water and some rust there. sprayed the cylinders with a generous amount of WD40. And changed oil 3 times to get all the gunk out. No more problems. The engines are 350 marine power.

"Its true that your problem co

"Its true that your problem could be the exhaust system. However you will also have water in the cylinders, which youll find by removing the spark plugs. Otherwise you may have blown a head gasket or cracked a cylinder head when you overheated as well. If you find no water in the cylinders, try running a compression check to find out if youve blown a head gasket. If you need any more info or parts, you can contact me at 1-800-748-7739 or 954-927-2999. You may also drop and email at [email protected]
thank you, Gabriel Acher - Dania Marine Corp."

Back