Logo

Partially stuck Flywheel JW 10

stimpson

" I'm working on a JW 10 t

" I'm working on a JW 10 that hasn't been started in about 10 years but was very well maintained and winterized after last being used. I took the spark plugs out and pulled the starter a few times to see that the pistons moved freely. Everything moved fine and looked ok so I cleaned and gapped the plugs and put them back. I took off the air intake next to look at the carb. It was very clean so everything went back. I then tried to pull the starter again and it would only turn a little bit and then froze. The starter mechanism worked fine when I removed it from the top of the motor. With the notch in the flywheel in the front of the motor, I can move the flywheel by hand about 1-1/4 turns clockwise and then back counter clock-wise but that? as far as it goes. Any idea why it won't move outside of this range now? "

Corrosion and carbon could ha

Corrosion and carbon could have fallen of the piston and that cannot be compressed. Start by pulling of the cylinder head. There are no short cuts to this problem.

If the flywheel will in fact

If the flywheel will in fact make more than 1 full revolution before jamming the problem may be in the lower unit.

Back