Logo

Question for Joe Installing a kill switch on a 1976 Evinrude 6 Hp

s_cooper1

" Joe, I've recently obtai

" Joe, I've recently obtained the subject motor. After reading the shop manual and many very useful postings from you I have this motor running great (new impeller, carb rebuild and LS setting, points, condensor).

On to my quesiton: I will be using this in a 12 ft boat with my young sons/daughter aboard this summer. I would like to install a kill switch on a tether attached to me so that in the unlikely event I should be thrown off, the motor would be disabled and the boat wouldnt get away.

I have the ignition system with 2 coils under the flywheel. I believe I need to run an additional wire off the stationary point screw terminal(the one that brings the prime coil/points/cond together) and take the additional wire to ground with a switch in the middle. The switch would be normally open and activating the tether would close it and ground the ignition/kill the motor. Am I on the right track? "

"Sounds good to me. The object

"Sounds good to me. The object being that both sets of points would be connected to each other (in effect, grounded), killing the ignition when the switch is closed.

Joe
"

Back