Logo

Merc ignition switch part number needed

870xprs

I need the part number for a

I need the part number for a 1977 Mercury 50 hp ignition switch with keys. Serial number 4707661. The switch doesn't show up in the Merc Parts Manual.

Thanks

870xprs

"870,

There isn't anyth

"870,

There isn't anything special about the ignition switch that you need. That is why Mercury doesn't specify a part number in the manual.

I think that almost all modern outboards use essentially the same switch.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a suitable replacement, but if you do let me know and I will give you some help.

"

"actually, the p/n is 54211

"actually, the p/n is 54211

Daren

"

" Thanks once again! The swit

" Thanks once again! The switches I found on internet parts sites generally have three or four contacts. My boat's ignition switch has 7 contacts, I think, and 7 wires coming in from the external wiring harness. And it's not the "push to choke" type of switch found on the outboardparts.com web site. It has a separate choke button on the top rear of the control.

870xprs "

"870,

I have installed stan

"870,

I have installed standard 5 pole ignition switches in the remote that you have.

It does require that you install wire ends with eyelets so that you can attatch the wires to the contacts on the switch.

I believe that the switch from Mercury has plug-in type connections. It is also much more expensive than the after market variety.

I am looking into this today, and will let you know exactly what you have to do if you decide to use a generic replacement. I want to study the wiring diagram first.

"

"870,

It is a hazy, drizzly

"870,

It is a hazy, drizzly day here in the west end of Long Island Sound, which is perfect weather for browsing through Mercury parts manuals.

The remote control that you have was made in a few different configurations, but they are essentially the same.

The number that I came up with for the actual Mercury part is 29566 which updates to 30162, and lists for around $30. It has five contacts which use screws for attatching the wires.

They also made this same box without the separate choke switch that you have, and simply plugged the hole for the switch.

You could use a typical outboard ignition switch with the push type choke feature. You don't have to use the "c" terminal for the choke wire, or you could choose to use it and eliminate the choke switch on top of the box. This would come in handy if the choke switch broke.

All you would have to do is attatch the grey wire to the "c" terminal of the ignition switch instead of to the choke switch. You would also have to attatch the white wire which provides 12 volts to the choke switch and tachometer plug to the accessory terminal on the ignition switch. Eliminate the white pigtail which now leads to the choke switch.

If you want to leave the choke as is, simply attatch the white wire to the accessory terminal on the ignition switch. This is the terminal that has twelve volts when you turn the key to the on position. It may be labeled "I" or "A". Don't attatch anything to the "C" terminal.

"

" Thanks, Tonyob for the infor

" Thanks, Tonyob for the information. I hope you guys don't get the rain that we did from tropical storm Allison week before last in Louisiana. It was something else! 20 to 30 inches in 6 days in south Louisiana. But at least it broke the drought.

I finally got my Merc 50 to fire up yesterday. I bought it and the boat from a friend who had just given up on it and let it set idle for who knows how many years. I replaced the internal and external wiring harnesses on the motor. The starter motor spun it up and the s/plugs were firing, but it wouldn't start. After pouring a little gas directly into the carburetors, it started and ran for a couple of seconds. Aha! So yesteday I took the carburetors off and cleaned them out. Man, what a bunch of sludge and varnish had accumulated in them! Put them back on the motor, pumped the primer bulb a few times, hit the ignition and choke and it started up just like it should. I let it idle for about 15 minutes (with the water hose muffs attached) and it purred like a kitten. Next step is to put the boat in the water and go for a spin - next Saturday.

I have about 5 feet extra wiring on the new external harness that I spliced into the old wires to the key switch.

Slow progress, but at least my wife isn't giving me the "look" for buying a new toy, now that the motor is running.

Take care.

870xprs "

I know this is an old post but hope some one can help me out here. I just installed a new quicksilver remote, on a new merc 20hp motor, everything works great except for the elect-choke, I have checked all of the extra/not used wires for voltage when i press in the key to choke, nothing there. Tried the blue, gray, white and a few others and nothing, can some one help me out here. there is only one wire off the choke cyl and its blue. thanks folks, john

Back