Logo

Engine dying at high speed

B

Blackstar

" I have noticed that when I t

" I have noticed that when I throttle up to high speed and after about 30 seconds the engine will loose power and die. It seems to be fuel related and I have changed my fuel filter with a little success, but appears to be doing it again. I have noticed that after engine dies it is just a matter of repriming the bulb and restarting. The engine is a 1983 VRO 150 V6, it has pretty much run good over the years but has just recently started acting up. All the buds at work has an opinion on my problem but nothing conclusive. Any ideas out there in cyber space? "

83 VRO ??????. VRO did not co

83 VRO ??????. VRO did not come out till 84. Have some one operate the priming bulb as a manual fuel pump and see what happens.Post the results.

" Sparky, thanks for respondin

" Sparky, thanks for responding so quickly. As soon as time permits I will try the priming the bulb when the engine starts to die. All this time I thought it was a 83 engine. "

" You can run into this proble

" You can run into this problem if you have a blockage in your fuel line intake, a damaged intake valve in your primer bulb, if you have portable tanks you may have a blockage or broken spring in the connector on the tank end of the hose or a plugged vent in your fuel tank. All of the above mentioned faults will cause your primmer bulb to colapse while your motor winds up using the gas up in the primer bulb. As soon as the motor shuts down the bulb will start to expand back to normal as there is no more draw on the fuel. A 140 hp would suck the primer bulb dry in about 20 to 30 seconds winding out to full throttle. "

If it has the VRO pump pull i

If it has the VRO pump pull it apart and look for damaged checkvalve on fuel piston.Parts are easy to get.A 140 would not take 30 seconds to empty a bulb.

Back