Logo

350 chevy swap

J

joe fortner

" this may be a dumb quiestion

" this may be a dumb quiestion, but if i take the heads of of my mercruiser motor(gm 350) and put them onto a 350 from a car, will it work for a boat? "

yes you can but the heads fro

yes you can but the heads from a car and boat are the same. you just need to make sure the engine is pre 1985 if that is waht you have now or post 1985. the intake and flywheel from a pre 1985 moter will not fit on a post 1985 motor. you will want to put stainless steel head gaskets on you motor and put in a marine cam comp cam makes a nice on part# cca-12-210-2 available from summit racing it will give you good power from 1500-4500 rpm

" We have discussed this subje

" We have discussed this subject before and I disagree with pintojeff. Usually marine engines are cast with more nickel in the block to prevent corrosion and most marine heads will have bigger valves to allow for more low end torque. Will they usually fit, YES. Are the always excatly the same, NO, GOod Luck, Kim "

" I have a 1991 Mercruiser 3.0

" I have a 1991 Mercruiser 3.0 Lt. Won't start with the key, but will turn over and start crossed out with screwdriver. Is the cutout switch on top of the motor the problem, when I keep the switch open with something there is no fire on the plugs. Could it be that the switch is bad . Would apprecitate any advise you can offer.

Thanks
Launce Bishop "

the switch on top of you 3.0L

the switch on top of you 3.0L is to stall the engine for a second so there is less thension on the outdrive when you shift in and out of gear. the plugs should have no spark when the swicth is pushed in and the should fire when the switch is not depresed. this switch dose not effect the starter at all. make shure you shifter is in nuetral the starter will not crank if the shifter is in gear. there is a switch in the shifter that controls that safty feature that might be the problem

How can I hook up a post 1986

How can I hook up a post 1986 350 to a 800 series stringer outdrive. The flywheel is different and the coupler won't line up. Is there an adapter?

" He is using the marine heads

" He is using the marine heads, so that point is moot. Although, along with the cam and head gaskets, you also need to change the freeze plugs and the water pump. I would recommend upgrading the oil pump as well. Hey, why not just buy a remanufactured marine engine?

Good luck. "

"Well I just did this swap tod

"Well I just did this swap today and there is some more info that you might need. The flywheel is different on 87 and newer engines. the engine is internaly balanced on 86 and older and externaly balanced on 87 and newer. The intake is coated on marine applications as well but the head to intake pattern is different, not so much the pattern but the angle that the two center intake bolts go into the head. so if you can try and use the intake that matches the heads. if not there will be some drilling and taping in your future. I used a 260 hp mercruiser to four bolt main early model. other problems are the dipstick runs all the way into the pan not two pieces like a car one. The water pump is odd to it is from a 1965 pickup the correct pump to year match will not fit all the accessories. The swap I did was not only marine to auto it was to an older model engine. if you have any questions let me know

[email protected]"

Back