Logo

Johnson outboard stored for ten years

G

Gil Murray

" I am considering buing a sai

" I am considering buing a sailboat with a 7hp Johnson. The motor is laying on the floor in a heated area. I am concerned about it. What would you look for? I am assuming initially, spark and water pump.
Thanks "

" I would rebulid the carb, cl

" I would rebulid the carb, clean fule lines. get a new sparkplug. new waterpump. change the LU gear oil. and clean the gas tank. As long as you know the motor was in running shape when it was stored.? If you are unsure about THAT?? ((First AND most of all Check the compression))!!
check all hoses for craking. check all bolts nuts screws ect make sure they are in place and tight.. Buy a manual on this motor. it is full of usefull info.. On Fule/oil mix gaps tork specks and tips and tricks, make sure it is in a tank of water up to where it would be in a lake when you start and run it! a water pump can melt or damage in mins runing it out of water.. All the parts togather even the book should be under a 100.00 dollars.

I am doing this with an old sears 7.5 elgin that has been in storage for 6 years..

and I am still working on a 63 Johnson That was setting for over 30 Years...

So dont let 10 years scare you..
)

Bobby "

" I have a 79 evinrude 115hp t

" I have a 79 evinrude 115hp that was completly rebuilt in 98 its bored 30 over I want to do a comp test on it need to know what it should be . presently redoing carbs it also had lower unit redone. It ran great when it was put in storage four years ago. power packs and coils fire plugs great. also replacing water pump impeller and hoses, water and fuel. "

" I have a 79 evinrude 115hp t

" I have a 79 evinrude 115hp that was completly rebuilt in 98 its bored 30 over I want to do a comp test on it need to know what it should be . presently redoing carbs it also had lower unit redone. It ran great when it was put in storage four years ago. power packs and coils fire plugs great. also replacing water pump impeller and hoses, water and fuel. "

Back