Logo

Hey JoeSparky What size

bobby

" What size is my shaft on 63

" What size is my shaft on 63 johnson SS 75Hp V4-S ?
I need a test prop for it.

Thanks, "

" one other thing...
If my sp

" one other thing...
If my spark is not that good will a new coil do the trick?

I get a pretty good spark but not a Quick Snap spark.. It did jump about a 1/4 inch but seemed a little week..

Thanks again,
You Guys Rule!

Need to set up a PayPal account for donations..

From all of us backyard people,, "

" If that is the engine I thin

" If that is the engine I think it is, the single coil sits in an enclosure behind the engine. I had a pair of circa 1965 Speedy Fours that ate coils. I discovered that NAPA auto supply would sell me a coil for this engine that was identicle to OEM and also that heat, not vibration was a cause of coil demise. If this is the case, carry a spare with you when a break down would be a problem. Do not try to get rip of vibration by wraping anything completly around the coil. Good luck with your engine. I bet you are on a freshwater lake as corrosion was tough on those old engines in saltwater.

Best regards
Frank "

"Bobby.... The size of the pro

"Bobby.... The size of the prop shaft on your engine is something we wouldn't know as there are two different lower units that will fit that engine.... the standard or electric shift type 75hp lower unit whereas the gearcase does not split at the propshaft center line.... and the heavy duty gearcase which does split at the propshaft center line, having the skeg attached with a number of screws (same type gearcase as the 1958/59 V/4 50hp models).

In either case, explaining what you have would be sufficent to anyone that might have the test prop you're atempting to locate. There would be nothing that we could add except the part number as listed below. Original part numbers followed by superceeded numbers:

75hp Std type gearcase P/S - 377869 - 380803

75hp Elec type gearcase P/S - 378518

50hp type Hvy/Duty gearcase P/S - 305407 -311062

The weak spark problem could be contributed to a weak coil, failing rotor, shorted condenser, something you'll just need to check into. If you find you need a coil, let me know.

I'll need to know if you have "Magneto" ignition or "Automotive Type" ignition.

Joe
"

" thanks. Joe
A guy says he

" thanks. Joe
A guy says he has one but all he knows it is omc and fits a 7/8 shaft... I just want to make sure it well fit.

Standard shift. 377869 - 380803 Is what I have

Mag system..
I called nampa auto parts. {THANKS Frank}, I did not know they sell outboard parts,
They have a coil for a 40 hp johnson. But his book dont go that far back on a 75HP motor. But the 40hp gos back to 1960.
The Question of the day!?? Is that 40hp coil the same as mine?
Thanks again,
Bobby "

"Bobby..... I'll see if I

"Bobby..... I'll see if I can find the part number of the test wheel and get back to you.

That 40hp coil is not the same. I'll get back to you with a price on the coil also. Or you can contact me at [email protected]

Joe
"

" Thanks,

I keep forgetting

" Thanks,

I keep forgetting that this motor is 40+ years old.
It looks like new. Now I need to get it running like New.. "

"Bobby.... The test wheel you

"Bobby.... The test wheel you would need is OMC part number 378046. That number would be imprinted on the test wheel itself.

I have one coil and the side insulators left in stock. If you find you need a coil, let me know at my e-mail address. Just click on my name above and you're there.

Joe
"

Back