Logo

1983 Mercury 40hp outboard lower unit question

L

L.Marquith

" I have a 1983 mercury 40hp m

" I have a 1983 mercury 40hp motor that I bought last season. I am getting water in the lower unit.I had it out 4 times and changed the lube in the lower unit 3 of those times. The first I noticed the problem was before I ever put it on the water. A friend had a set of those cheap muffs to start the motor out of water. I got water in new oil that day in the yard. This tells me , and I can be wrong, that there is a seal in the vicinity of the water pickup that is letting water in. My question is would it be a good idea for me to get a blowup of the parts diagram and tear into this myself with no experience or should I just go to a dealer that works on them. I don't want to get robbed but I don't want to get in over my head either. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. "

Get you a manuel and look at

Get you a manuel and look at the shaft seal under the pump it is probably bad. They aren't that hard to replace. Be sure to replace the seals under the fill and drain screws to.

" DEPENDING ON YOUR SERIAL #,

" DEPENDING ON YOUR SERIAL #, YOU CAN TRY WWW.MERCURYMARINE.COM
GO TO "GO SHOPPING"
THEN TO "PARTS EXPRESS"
THEN JUST FOLLOW THE MENU.I'M NOT SURE HOW FAR THEY GO BACK,BUT I USE THAT SITE TO LOOK UP PARTS AND THE CURRENT LIST PRICE. THE SITE ALSO HAS A BLOW UP OF THE MOTORS. "

" L. Marquith, There is an O-r

" L. Marquith, There is an O-ring seal under the water pump in the lower unit. In addition there is a seal around the drive shaft in the water pump. It sounds to me that one/both of those seals are bad. The O-ring seal is replaced routinely whenever the water pump impeller is replaced, and comes with the rebuild kit. The driveshaft seal is usually purchased with a new waterpump base. I recommend you get the repair manual for your motor and then buy the water pump base repair kit, to be sure you fix both seals. It needs to be noted that these kits come with several gaskets, washers and O-rings. You will need to match up the new parts and expect to have some left-overs. Good luck - it is not hard just pay attention on how things come apart. "

Thanks to all of you for your

Thanks to all of you for your input. I am leaning towards doing this work myself after I locate a good repair manual. I am looking around for one tonight actually. I wonder if any brand of manual is better than the others? Any opinions or knowledge of manuals please let me know. Thanks all.

I like the original manf. man

I like the original manf. manuel my self but can use a seloc. Would not wast my money on a clymer

" Can anyone tell me where I

" Can anyone tell me where I can buy a shop manual for Mercury 40 HP 1983, preferably a mercury manual. I have been looking all over the net and mostly find clymer or haynes. "

" I have a 1979 Mercury 70HP s

" I have a 1979 Mercury 70HP seems to be running ok but it is not expelling water through the hose at the back of the engine when ideling, it only comes out when revved (this is with the earmuffs on.)
I have located an impeller in the bottom half of the shaft and this appears to be o.k, does anyone know if this is normal or what could be causing the problem.
Cheers "

Back