Logo

1975 ford marine 302 standard and counter rotation

B

Brian Keiner

Replaced a 302 marine engine

Replaced a 302 marine engine with a reman marine 302 and went to install distributor and cam gears and distributor gears are opposite. Do I have a reverse rotation motor and can it be used by changing the cam or the distributor or am I out of luck using this engine?

Ouch. You don't say what

Ouch. You don't say what tranny you have but if you leave it reverse rotation the tranny and prop will turn the wrong way more than likely. Cam and starter will need to be changed. Can you send it back for an exchange?

"If your engine rotates clockw

"If your engine rotates clockwise as viewed from the rear, you have a reverse rotation engine. If the reman'd engine was from a marine distributor that offers the RR option, swapping the engines is the way to go. You may have to pay a "restocking" fee, but you'll keep your warranty.

"

" Sending the engine back is i

" Sending the engine back is i am sorry to say, not an option. It was a new remanufactured engine from marinetek sold on auction. The marinetek no is f95089 with serial no mem2148. Does any one have access to info on the above numbers? Do standard and rr motors use the same crank? Can you switch the distributor gear and make this engine work? thanks "

Switch the gear and the engin

Switch the gear and the engine will run. Albeit backwards for your application. Remember the firing order is also reversed. If you need that I can dig it up.

Back