Logo

Ignition problem new 57 Vortec

• Thread starter Capt. Rick Stallard
  • Start date
C

Capt. Rick Stallard

" Recently repowered 28' T

" Recently repowered 28' Topaz Sport Fish with new 5.7 Vortecs from Crusader. The CW (starboard)engine will not turn over 2600 rpm's w/o violent backfiring. The backfiring will occur at 25-2600 when the engine is put in a strain or loaded up, (hard turn, strong current, or change in trim load). Have swapped carburetors from port to starboard as well as plug wires,rotor and cap. Replaced fuel line from pickup tube to filter just ahead of pump as well as switched the pickup lines at the tank in the event there was an obstruction or "leak" in the pickup tube inside the tank. Have replaced plugs (AC #8's) three times, replaced coil and set timing at both 6 (recommended) and 10 degrees BTDC. Am to the point now of looking into the valve train, lifters, springs, valves, etc... but hate to pull valve covers or heads while under warranty although I have been unable to get any help from Crusader or the distributor who sold me the engines. By the way, they are equpped with Mallory breakerless distributors, and ballast resistors have been installed. Any help greatly appreciated. "

" Capt. Rick Stallard
If eng

" Capt. Rick Stallard
If engines are still under warranty and the dealer or crusader woun't help you, have a lawyer write them a letter. "

" Thanks Salt, my past experie

" Thanks Salt, my past experiences with attorneys have indicated that when they become involved the remedy is usually delayed. (hope you're not one). In all fairness to Crusader, I spoke with a Keith Long there this morning and he was very helpful even though my engines had never been registered with Crusader when they were purchased, (7/28/03 but not installed and delivered until 10/30/01). Not much good that I can say about the my local distributor or boat yard as of yet. Spring Break is upon us and I just need the boat working. Thanx again for the "comeback" and until next time, "Tite Lines" "

" Capt. Rick,

I too have a

" Capt. Rick,

I too have a pair of 5.7 Vortecs (1999) and had the same problem. It finally cleared up after I had to reset the fuel mixture screws, reset the timing to 8 degrees BTDC, replaced the plugs and gapped them very carefully and prayed alot! It seemed like everything had to be absolutely perfect before the problem went away. One more tip... check to see if the vacuum advance setting and secondary bowls are operating in sinc. Good Luck. "

" Capt. Rick
No i am not an

" Capt. Rick
No i am not an attorney. In 1975 i had a problem with a dealer who keep giving me the run arround on repair of a boat i had purchased from him.
I new an attorney who was an avid boater and he wrote a letter to the dealer and within 2 days he was calling me to make arrangments to get the boat to him for repaires. I never had any more problems with him.
I would like to say that, that is a good trick, getting the engines installed 2 years before they were purchased and delivered, Ha Ha.
Good luck, and i realy mean it. "

" Jim, thanks for the advice,

" Jim, thanks for the advice, no vacuum advance on these engines. Intalled new distributor from Crusader this morning, set timing at 8 & 10 degrees BTDC, gapped and replace plugs, checked wireing on ballast resistors again, still the problem has not gone away or improved whatsoever. I'm going to get a compression gauge tomorrow and see if I can find anything in the valve train, 'bout had it with this one, if anyone else has any suggestions please advise. My next step will be taking the boat to Palmer Johnson in Savannah and I know that won't be cheap. Thanx "

"Capt. Rick,
Your problem cou

"Capt. Rick,
Your problem could very well be in the valvetrain (Maybe timing chain, cam or even lifters). However since youve already changed the carburetor and distributor, try these steps:

1 - remove grey tachometer wire from coil minus side. Tach may be faulty causing an ign. problem.

2 - Check muffler and exhaust thru-hull for any obstruction. Most importantly look through the exhaust hoses because sometimes they will burn or collapse only on the inside, even though the outside looks perfect. this usually occurs near the riser). Also make sure muffler is not installed backwards or upside down.

3 - If this is a reverse rotation engine, make sure that the firing order on the spark plug wires are correct (1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8)

4 - Did you try changing the ignition coil?

If you have any questions, you may call me toll free at 1-800-748-7739. or email:[email protected].
thank you, Gabriel Acher - Dania Marine Corp."

" Thanks alot for the comeback

" Thanks alot for the comeback Gabriel. I have changed the ignition coil w/o any change in condition. I have not removed the tach wire from the coil but I did try bypassing the ballast with the red wire from the distributor to the coil w/o change here either. I will try to call you because I have a question on the firing order. The firing order stamped on the manifolds are the same for the LH and RH engines. The order in which the wires go in the cap are opposite though. I ran a compression check on it this weekend and found #3 cylinder around 60#, and #5 around 35#, #1 and #7 were 175 & 180 respectively. I suspect a blown head gasket at this time or horribly seated valves. Crusader is supposed to have someone up the first part of next week to look at the engine and have indicated they feel a replacement is in order so at this time I do not want to do a whole lot more with it. I am curious though that if the firing order on the manifold is incorrect if this could have been the problem from the get go. You may be able to help me with this question though, If I remove the plugs on the low compression cylinders and sqirt oil on top of the piston then check compression again and find a noticeable increase in compression would this rule out a ring problem? "

Capt Rick

About 6 years ag

Capt Rick

About 6 years ago we discovered that the Vortec wotrked better with a HIGH Performance typoe of GM coil. Check with Marine Power they use the coil in their carb and EFI engines

just bought a 1993 crownline 2

just bought a 1993 crownline 250cr with a 5.7 mercruiser. I sold my 1990 2570 cruisers inc last yr it had a 7.4L mercruiser with thunderbolt ignation. Will the 1993 5.7L have the same ignation

Back