Logo

1987 Mercury 150 Black Max

• Thread starter Dennis Butterfield
  • Start date
D

Dennis Butterfield

I have a very low hour factor

I have a very low hour factory stock mercury 150 Black Max. Need to know what fuel octane should be used?
Thanks in advance

the marina where I have my bo

the marina where I have my boat only has 89 octane fuel and I've run it for several years on my 175 max. Never had a problem or hurt anything(knock on wood).

Dennis...Mercury motors requi

Dennis...Mercury motors require an 87 octane min. as per mercury's reccomendations. A higher octane may not improve anything but do suggest that you purchase fuel from a reputable fuel supplier...DJ

" Thanks Fishnfool & DJ,

" Thanks Fishnfool & DJ,
The reason I asked was my jet ski was loading up and smoking alot. I was useing high test. Yamaha finally told me that the oil injection and engine tune was calibrated to 87 octane. The flashpoint for the Yamalube was designed for 87 octane thus the oil and fuel were not burning at the rate that it should have. I changed to 87 and every thing cleared up. I was wondering if this thought process applies to Mercury outboards?
From Dale Hollow Lake, TN.
Dennis "

" have a slightly tweeked 1989

" have a slightly tweeked 1989 150 v6 (6deg adv on timing) and it runs fine on 89 oct., due to timing 87 will ping slightly under load (skiing) but as long as everything mechanical is ok 87-89 should be fine with any good quality oil. "

Back