Logo

1967 Evinrude 60 hp v4 no spark

C

Chuck Whittern

"My 1967 Evinrude 60 hp v-4 ha

"My 1967 Evinrude 60 hp v-4 has been running like a champ, but last time out we stopped to try fishing in one more spot. Engine started, sputtered and coughed and would not fire again at all. Switching tanks and attempting to start with primer bulb squeezed did not help - no firing at all. Poured a little gas into carbs - nothing...

Engine has new dist. cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, gas hoses, and was running fine.

I have checked the safety switch - OK.

Checked all wiring and connections - seem OK

Checked point gaps - Set to .020 as per manual.

Spark tester shows no spark at all...

This engine has a magneto (no external coil), even though my 67 Evinrude Service Manual shows a coil and distributor in its pictures.

Is there some way to test the magneto?

Any ideas what this could be???

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Chuck Whittern
Hudson MI

[email protected]"

"Chuck.... The most likely ite

"Chuck.... The most likely item that has failed would be the rotor. They have been known to short out through the bottom to the metal shaft. You can check the magneto somewhat by removing the dist cap and attaching the spark testing device directly to the coil conductor. You would have to remove the dist cap in order to replace the rotor anyway so you might as well make that test.

Note that those engines were manufactured in both ignition systems... "Battery Ignition" and "Magneto Ignition". Both were good systems so it doesn't matter which you have. I'm not speaking particularly of the 1967 but rather of the early model V/4 engines.

Another note... The battery ignition system took a different rotor than the magneto system. The battery ignition rotors end that would spark to the dist cap is simply a straight squared off end (OMC #580338). The magneto ignition rotors end that would spark to the dist cap is elongated, sort of hooked and is part number #580260. Either of these rotors sell for about $13.00.

Be sure to get the rotor with the weird looking end on it... part #580260. If that is your problem, and you have a problem finding one, I have a couple left in stock ($15.00 includes shipping). I also have a few completely rebuilt magnetos left in stock. Should you know anyone who might need one ($155.00 includes shipping).

At any rate, I hope all you need is the rotor. Good luck.

Joe
"

Back