Logo

Help identify a starter

andrew

Administrator
"Joe Reeves is looking for som

"Joe Reeves is looking for some help identifying a starter:

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR SIZE=0><!-Quote-!><FONT SIZE=1>Quote:</FONT>

...I'm somewhat at a loss to identify the starter pictured below. I have always thought it is a starter for the 9.9hp and 15hp model Evinrude/Johnson (1974 to ?) but it doesn't appear to be.... unless this one was a initial model that was superceeded and not listed in the final edition of the 1974 parts manual.

Notice the top plate of the starter. It has studs whereas nuts would be the retaining factor to attach it to the engine. The top plate pictured in any of the service manuals shows a completely different setup which is one I can vividly recall.

The only number I can find anywhere on the entire starter is stamped on the top plate, shown in one of the pictures but not too readable. It states:

<CENTER>2
CP591004-C</CENTER>

With the "2" being directly over top of the last "C".

Would anyone be able to shed any light on what this might be? Thanks for your time.

Joe Reeves<!-/Quote-!><HR SIZE=0></BLOCKQUOTE>
<CENTER>

</CENTER>"

The starter on the 9.9 and 15

The starter on the 9.9 and 15 mounts on the exhaust port cover.You MUST have this cover to mount the stater.The standard manual start exhaust cover is different.

"Sparky.... As initially state

"Sparky.... As initially stated above, we know what it isn't, and I'm aware of the mounting of the 9.9/15hp setup. The help we need is in identifying the starter pictured above.

Joe
"

" Hey Joe....
I just went thr

" Hey Joe....
I just went thru the 2000 NAPA marine catalog,and didn't find a thing...they list hundreds of marine starters for all of the major outboard people...I also tryed to check the Number that you have, and nothing there either....That starter seems awful big to be for a 9.9-15 HP...Looks like it might be used on a Wisconsin.B&S or as techumsch......TommyG "

"Tommy.... The size appearance

"Tommy.... The size appearance is just a illusion. The actual size is roughly 7" total length (bottom of starter to top of armature shaft), with the casing about 2" in diameter.

Joe
"

Have you tried arcomarine.com

Have you tried arcomarine.com or mesmarine.com. They might be of some help in identifying that starter.

" Could it be off a small 4 st

" Could it be off a small 4 stroke? It looks very familar, especially the raised portion of the mounting flange. "

" Joe,

That does appear to

" Joe,

That does appear to be the starter you have, but the Mercury number would be 50-47216.

Tony "

" I think it is just a case of

" I think it is just a case of the OMC part number not being the same as the number used by the manufacturer of the part.

For instance on an RD18, 1956 30hp, the OMC part number was 277432 but on the actual starter itself the only identifying marks is a brass plate riveted onto the housing marked Auto-Lite MDH 4001M 2L "

" Joe,

I found another star

" Joe,

I found another starter that looks exactly the same in the pictures, but of course it is difficult to be certain. This one is on a Mercury 7.5 HP, and the number is 50-73531. I believe that the only difference is the number of teeth on the drive gear, but I can't say for sure.

You may be right John, but it is also possible that the number on the top of the starter identifies the top plate and not the entire starter. By the way, how did you find that message about the starter anyway?

Tony "

" Just did a lot of surfing on

" Just did a lot of surfing on the numbers using different variations and combining with words.

tried looking for just the "cp" hoping to identify a manufacturer, searched on a combination of "starter cp", "starter 59104" and so on.

I dont recall the actual search criteria, or how far down it was in my list of hits. Just kept plugging along till I found something is all.

The number could identify the plate itself, but then again the difference between my any Joes numbers compared to yours could be that the leadining two positions "cp" identify a manufacturer (anyones guess who) along with perhaps that next position "5" denoting a given base size of the starter (or style of mount) and so on ..... who knows.

I would say, in most cases, if the sucker bolts on and spins the motor its right. Kind of difficult to take that approach if your selling/buying something on ebay or something but I would think its safe to say it would fit my 20hp, and your 7.5.

Might be a good idea to varify what year those were though, if possible.

Another angle on it would be to look for a mercury 50-47216 and then also hunt up a mercury 59-1004 to see if that would turn up any clues "

" John,

I tried to make a c

" John,

I tried to make a connection between Joe's number and Mercury numbers and could not. I'm thinking that it is a rebuilt starter, and the number is a rebuilder's number. I checked every Mercury starter that I have and none have any numbers like this one. These starters are no longer available (as far as I know) from either Merc or the rebuilders that I know of so I can't find any reference to it. I am looking for old catalogues from rebuilders to see if there might be some hint as to what Joe's number is referring to.

Tony "

Back