Logo

200hp Johnson Powerhead Removal From Lower Unit

tom

Regular Contributor
I am trying to remove the pow

I am trying to remove the powerhead from the lower unit. I have the lifting eye set to a suitable hoist but it won't seperate. I have removed four screws and one nut on each side where the black colored powerhead contacts the white colored exhaust housing. I have removed one nut from the powerhead to exhaust adapter. The manual says there shoud be two more screws (bolts) on the exhaust adapter but I don't see them. Did I remove the wrong bolts? Shoud I remove the bolts that connect the lower unit with the exhaust adapter?

Stuck

Just to update. I did remove

Just to update. I did remove the three long bolts on each side that run from the exhaust housing to powerhead. On one of them the bolt head broke off. I can see no other bolts to remove but the powerhead is still tight.

Stuck

" Thanks. I have already remo

" Thanks. I have already removed four screws and one nut on each side of the exhaust housing to powerhead. Also, I removed the two screws and one nut on the powerhead to exhaust adapter. Yes, the shirt rod pin has been removed. The only thing that I see holding it on is the one long broken exhaust to powerhead bolt. But I still can't even get a crack at the gasket. I thought I would remove the lower unit with the drive shaft. Then using heat and wd40 work on the broken bolt with a hammer and center punch. This motor has so much corrosion that I am beginning to think it might be to far gone.

Thanks again.

Stuck "

If this motor was recently re

If this motor was recently rebuilt then why is it stuck now.Seems to me it should fall apart if it has been apart and rebuilt in the last few months.

" Sparky,

Those are my feel

" Sparky,

Those are my feelings exactly. I was charged almost $3,000.00 in parts and the engine didn't even run. Bolts that should come off with very little effort are like welded on. I wonder what was actually done. It seems it was put together with lock tight and a air hammer. This started out as a difficult job and is rapidly becoming a nightmare.

Disgusted "

Back