Logo

7518 evinrude 1955 75 quits running

G

gary buysse

" Joe.,
I have the above

" Joe.,
I have the above engine and have replaced the condensors,pts,coils,spa and wires,cleaned carb,
and installed a new water pump.

After running for 20 or 30 minutes the engine locks up. I have to remove the starter recoil and turn the file wheel by hand to free up. After doing all that I am good to go. this has me very confused whats happening? How do I fix it.

Thanks for your help.

Gary in MN "

"Gary.... You don't say wh

"Gary.... You don't say what fuel mixture you're using. That engine requires a 24/1 mixture which would be 1qt of 50/1 TCW-III oil to 6 gal gasoline. An octane rating of 87 (or higher) is fine.

When you say "locks up", I assume that you're saying that the engine actually seizes such as the flywheel/crankshaft/pistons will not move. This could only be caused by one (or both) of two things. Either the engine is overheating bad or the fuel/oil mixture is wrong.

If the engine locked up for any other reason such as a bearing or some other inner component failing, I highly doubt if the engine would run again after seizing.

Check into the problem further and let me know what you find.

Joe
"

" Joe,
Thanks for your help.

" Joe,
Thanks for your help. I am thinking about tearing the engine down. Where can I get rings,
brgs. gskts for the rebuild. I have 72 and 75 lbs. of compression on the cylinders.

Thanks again for you help.

Gary "

Back