Logo

200hp Johnson Head Screws bolts Broken

tom

Regular Contributor
" Hi,

Well, I am working on

" Hi,

Well, I am working on getting the port cylinder head off but running into a few problems. One head bolt (screw) came off with very little effort. Three head bolts on the opposite side of the "loose one" broke off. One broke with little effort and one broke with great effort and one was part way out and failed. Also, there appears to be a white powered on all the head bolt which leaves a small amount of white dust. There is a white band all around the cylinder at the head gasket. This motor is used on salt water. Although I have not yet removed the cylinder head I am beginning to think that it is time just to pull of the entire powerhead off and disasemble.

Any tricks that you know of for the broken bolts problem? I was thinking that if I could remove the heads then I would try penetrating fluid, bees wax, a bit of heat, and vice grips to remove the bolts. But they are really really tight. The bolts that I was able to remove required a great deal of force. Do you think I will be able to remove the heads with the broken studs still in place?

Thanks again,
Tom "

Salt water is a BIG problem.T

Salt water is a BIG problem.The white powder is aluminum oxide.It is formed when oxygen joins with aluminum and there is now more material.That is the reason everything jams up.Lots of persaverance required to tackle such a project.When drilling in bolts to use an easy out you usually end up going sideways into the block and a machine shop will be the best bet to remove broken bolts.

" Tom,

Sparky is right; thi

" Tom,

Sparky is right; this can be a really tough job, but occassionally you can get lucky. Sometimes the bolts are frozen in the cylinder head itself, and when you get the head off you can unscrew the rest of the bolt. If there is enough of the bolt remaining, you can file it a little so that a vise grip has two flat surfaces to grab. Then apply plenty of heat and slowly work the bolt out.

If there is nothing to grab, then your only hope is to drill the bolt out and use a heli-coil. Hit the top of the bolt with a punch so that you have an indentation to hold the 1/8 inch cobalt drill bit in the center of the screw. Proceed slowly and carefully. Once you get this pilot hole drilled all the way through, you can follow it with a 3/16, 1/4, etc. cobalt bits until you have opened it up enough for whatever drill bit the heli-coil kit uses.

Of course, if you don't mind spending the money, the machine shop is the best way to go, especially one equipped with a laser for such projects.

Tony "

"Tom..... In addition to the e

"Tom..... In addition to the excellent advice above, you'll discover that the best route to take when removing frozen, rusted, corroded, stuck bolts is to use a hand held propane torch with a blowtorch tip, applying heat to the aluminum around the bolt. This expands the aluminum (usually) just enough to allow the bolt to turn.

And of course, have a garden hose and/or a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Thanks for all the great adv

" Thanks for all the great advice. I now have four broken bolts and one left to do, which is being very difficult. I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of a very interesting project.

P.S. I received the service and parts manuals from MarineEngine.com. They are terrific. I can't imagine doing this project without them.

Tom "

" Tom...Don't ask me why t

" Tom...Don't ask me why this works because I don't know,but it does.
I was told long agowhen working on an alluminum motorcycle engine ,after breaking a few bolts ,to try tightening the bolts JUST untill they crack and then loosen the bolts.It worked and I have been using this method on stubborn bolts ever since.
There is no doubt in my mind that this works,however your situation might be too far along but if you have enough bolt shaft to get some vise grips on give it a try
GOOD LUCK TONY "

Back