Logo

Your Opinion

chuck

" Hi I am going to look at a d

" Hi I am going to look at a downeast type boat 26 ft. with keel drive, 4 cyl. 453 gm diesel. Anyone got some input on that Eng.I believe it has approx. 1600 hrs. Thanks, Chuck "

" 4-53 GM IS MADE BY DETROIT D

" 4-53 GM IS MADE BY DETROIT DIESEL OR WAS.IT IS A TWO CYL ENGINE THAT HAS BEEN WIDELY USED IN INDUSTRAL AND MARINE ENGINES,WAS ALSO USED IN TRUCKS. OVER ALL IT IS A GOOD ENGINE AND WITH CARE IT SHOULD RUN A LONG TIME,AS THERE ARE STILL LOTS OF THE 53 SERIES ENGINE RUNNING YOU WONT HAVE A PROBLEM GETTIG PARTS IF NEEDED "

" Chuck,
I know for a fact t

" Chuck,
I know for a fact those engines will run forever if properly cared for, and as marv says: the parts are everywhere! Cheap parts in comparison also. I saw crewboats back in the 1980 era running 50 miles offshore ,continous duty application with the 4-53/6-53 application trying to eke out a living and competing with the big boys (12v-71, 16v71) before the louisiana oil fields went bust. The thing about detriots is that they are notoriously loud and clanky, they also "were" one of the "leakiest" motors running, but will run forever if you give them clean fuel and clean air. Economical, "yes" for their time, but not quiet and be prepared to buy some bilge diapers and some earmuffs. "

Back