Logo

Lost

"i have a 1979 volvo pent AQ14

"i have a 1979 volvo pent AQ140 a. it seems to be getting too much power to the points, they are burning. i am ordering the pertronics ignition but i was wondering why i am getting too much power. the wires going to my coil are melting and the points actually melted. the wire in the distributer from points to condensor was melted. the rubber coating was gone. i hate electric probblems and i am lost. please any input will help. thank you."

"Do you have a 3 ohm or a 1.5

"Do you have a 3 ohm or a 1.5 ohm coil? If you have a 1.5 ohm coil, the current will be too high for the points and they will not last. Also, are you leaving the ignition key in "on" when you stop the engine? If so, that will fry your points and even the wiring in no time. A bad capacitor will also ruin the points quickly.

Of course, you could also have a bad alternator giving too high voltage. You can check that with a volt meter when the engine is running. In fact, you need to verify this before you install your new Pertronix kit."

"I agree.....the coil is proba

"I agree.....the coil is probably of too high resistance.
Go pertronix with the 3 ohm coil......Be done with the conventional ways!!!!!
biggrin.gif
"

You probably have an over acti

You probably have an over active charging system. Dont install the electronic ignition untill you get to the bottom of this. Using a volt meter set on 20 volts dc mesure how much voltage is going to the coil at aroun 2500-3000 rpm. Anything above 13-13.5 volts is too much. If its way higher than that then you could have alternator issues. I had to install a ballast resistor in between my ignition and the positive side of my coil in order to use my electronic ignition module. Without it it was over heating and failing.

"Dough:
Recommended charging

"Dough:
Recommended charging for the Volvo alternator , and even required for the batteries to get fully charged is 13,8 - 14,2 volts. Using gel batteries You have to go above 14,5 volts. Charging at 13 volts You will never get the batteries full up. A fully charged and healthy lead/acid battery should read 12,8 volts."

"Quote from Roy at Hotspark:

"Quote from Roy at Hotspark:

From your description, it sounds like the ignition module is receiving too much amperage. Two things are critical:

1. Primary resistance of coil needs to be at least 3.2 Ohms. Please measure with an Ohmmeter. If less than that, install ballast resistor.

2. Total charging system voltage at about 4,000 RPM, measured at coil's positive terminal - if more than 13 volts or so, you need to install a 1.3 Ohm ballast resistor between the ignition switch and the coil's positive terminal.

NAPA Auto parts has the ballast resistor: NAPA Echlin ICR11

Please see: www.Hot-Spark.com/Coil.htm

Regards,

Roy Robertson
www.Hot-Spark.com"

I say pertronix...............

I say pertronix...............it is proven. Maybe more expensive. But when you figure in the "head-ache" factor. They are the BEST!!!!!!!
Go with pertronix....Hot spark isn't evolved enough yet.

I don't know a lot about t

I don't know a lot about the Hot Spark setup but I know that when I switched from points to electronic I tried to save some money and bought the Hot spark setup and couldn't ever get the boat to run right so I spent the money for the complete Pertronix setup and runs like a champ very easy install and never a problem. plus after reading all of the post on here seems like a lot of people are having problems with the Hot Spark Setup.. but when you do install the pertronix just make sure that you meet all the requirements that pertronix asks for..

Just my 2 cents

Designing an ignition system t

Designing an ignition system that does not handle normal charge voltage without adding bits and pieces to reduce the normal operating voltage does not seem quite up to date.
The Hot-Spark seems to me to be a bit too 'cheap' in design. They seems to be a bit 'narrow' in tollerances of Volts/Ohms/Amps.
Haveing electronic components/units that does not handle at least 16V is a no-no!
Go for Pertronix and return the Hot Spark.

"Straight from Pertronix websi

"Straight from Pertronix website:

To determine if your systems coil is compatible with the Ignitor, some measurements should be taken prior to installation of the Ignitor. Caution… While performing this test, never leave the ignition switch on for more than 30 seconds at a time.
Set your voltmeter to a 15 or 20-volt scale. Attach an 18 or 20 AWG jumper wire from the negative coil terminal to an engine ground. Attach positive (red) lead of your voltmeter to the positive side of the coil, and the negative (black) lead to an engine ground. Turn the ignition switch to the run position. Now read the voltage at the positive coil terminal. Turn the ignition switch off. If the voltage measured is approximately 12 volts, no resistance wire is present. A typical resistance wire will provide 9 - 6 volts.
The next step is to determine the resistance in the primary ignition. Label the wires attached to the coil terminals and note their appropriate location. Make sure that the ignition switch is off and disconnect all wires from the coil. Adjust your meter to the lowest ? ohm scale. If you are using an analog style meter make sure to zero the needle. Measure from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. Write your measurement down.
Now the maximum system amperage can be determined, divide your voltage measurement by your coil resistance measurement. This will give you the system current or amperage.
Four cylinder engines should not exceed 4 amps. Six and eight cylinder engines should not exceed 8.5 amps. If the total amperage in your system is higher than the amount recommended for your application, you should install a ballast resistor.
Example Voltage 12
Resistance 1.5
12 / 1.5 = 8
Total amperage 8

Although pertronix has a little more tolerance to amperage, they are not far off of Hotspark. 16 volts, even with a pertonix system and a 3.3 ohm coil still provide 4.8 amps which is above the tolerance for pertronix"

"Dough:
What You are referrin

"Dough:
What You are referring to is a 'static' (not running) engine where Voltage at maximum might be 12.8V providing You have a fresh battery. This has nothing to do with charge voltage at running engine.
Marine engines normally has a '9' or '12' Volt coil. The procedure is to determine which one You have. The 9 volt coils most commonly uses an external ballast resistor visible close to the coil, but OMC has the resistor incorporated in the + cable comming from Alternator to coil. Replace that cable, and You need an external ballast resistor, as simple a that."

Back