Logo

1997 Yamaha 99 4 stroke hard to start and wont idle

C

Chip Winner

" I have to restrict the carb

" I have to restrict the carb air intake with my hand to get the motor to start. After started, I can't reduce the neutral throttle down to an idle in order to shift into gear. Every year at season end I run stabil in the gas to help keep the carb clean and I also fog the motor. Is it possible I may have a clogged jet in the carb? Should I not fog this motor? "

" Chip,

It sounds like a cl

" Chip,

It sounds like a clogged idle jet. You should remove the carb and take it apart. You must clean every nook and cranny in there.

Fogging the engine is advisable, but I fog the engine while cranking, with the ignition off. If you fog while the engine is running the oil gets burned in the cylinders.

As for the fuel system, I feel it is better to drain the carb and pump, and then fill the fuel system with Marvel Mystery oil. I just put the end of the fuel hose ( remove any fitting so that the hose is free to draw ) into a can of oil and squeeze the primer until it gets hard.

If you do this, you have to flush the oil out of the carb and block before starting in the spring.

Tony "

Back