Logo

1986 AQ131A

stewsbs

Contributing Member
Can someone please offer some

Can someone please offer some advice I purchased a used boat with the Volvo AQ131A engine it did not have a ditributor when I got it a bought a used bosch dist and put it in I rewired the entire electrical system installed a new battery replaced the rotor dist cap points automatic fuse and relay and the resistor at the alternator which is also brand new the engine now cranks over but will not start it backfires out or the carb and exhuast outlet it is getting good spark and is grounded very well it still has the origanal carb which seems to pump alot of gas into the throat of the carb it sprays out the throat when I crank the engine but it will not start any help would be appreciated as I am ready to pull my hair out of my head!

have you made sure the distrib

have you made sure the distributor is in correctly? Put number one up on tdc on the compression stroke and make sure the rotor is pointing to the number one tower on the cap. You might be 180 out.

I installed the dist so that t

I installed the dist so that the hold down flange lines up with the hole for the bolt I have also tried turning the distibutor almost 180 degrees it wont turn a full 180 because the alternator is in the way if I go the other way the raw water pipe gets in the way still wont start do you suggest I tear down and redo the timing completly?

"Don't despair, we'll

"Don't despair, we'll get you on the right track.
biggrin.gif

A few things you need to check are: 1) Make sure the distributor static ignition timing is correct; it should be 6º BTDC and that it is not 180º off; 2) Make sure the spark plug leads go to the right socket in the distributor and to the right spark plug; the firing order is 1-3-4-2, and the distributor turns clockwise; 3) Make sure the timing belt is correctly installed; that is, that one or more of the gears is/are not one or more teeh off the marks.

Of course, you also need to verify that the compression is good in all cylinders, and that the distributor you have is the correct one for your engine; normally the number stamped on it is 231 178 017.

Finally, consider throwing away the points and condenser and installing a Pertronix or HotSpark electronic ignition kit. You will be glad you did."

the part # says 855712 the Bos

the part # says 855712 the Bosch # 0231178017 is there any way to check the timing without tearing down the front of the engine or do you sugeest I just take it apart and start the timing procedure from scratch?

"Stewart, it seems that you ha

"Stewart, it seems that you have the right distributor. To make sure it is installed correctly, try this: 1) remove the distributor; 2) put cylinder number one in TDC at the end of the compression stroke (make sure the marks on the casing and crankshaft pulley do line-up); 3) Place the distributor above the housing, align the rotor towards number one cylinder terminal in the distributor cap, then back the rotor counterclockwise 1/8 of a turn; 4) Slide the distributor into the engine, but do not tighten the hold down clamp bolt; 5) Try to start the engine; if it does not start, rotate the distributor a bit clockwise or counterclockwise until you reach a point where the engine will start. You can then adjust the ignition timing with the help of a timing light.

"

What is the easiest way to put

What is the easiest way to put cylinder number one in TDC at the end of the compression stroke?

"Remove #1 spark plug, then pu

"Remove #1 spark plug, then put your thumb on the hole and turn the engine with the other hand with the help of a socket wrench and a ratchet until you feel compression in your thumb. Keep turning the engine until the notch in the crankshaft pulley aligns with the "zero" mark on the timing belt cover."

"Take the spark plug out of th

"Take the spark plug out of the number one hole. stick a long screw screw driver in the hole and turn the engine over by Hand. when you see the screw driver come up and the timing marks are lined up, you are there."

okay I belive my spark plug wi

okay I belive my spark plug wires in dist are messsed up I see a #1 marked on the cap but it is in betwwen 2 posts how do I know which one is #1 also I am following the Seloc manual and on my crankshaft pulley there does not seem to be any bolts on the outer pulley is that possible? I am totaly confused as nothing really looks the same as in manual I do not see any timing mark on valve cover either?

After reading many of the thre

After reading many of the threads here I am finding new things to ask questions about should I not be grounding my starter to the engine block in the same place the baterry is grounded? Sorry for so many questions but I am a newbie to all of this although I am mech inclined I have never worked on a marine engine!

ok that main bolt is there on

ok that main bolt is there on the crank pulley but I am seeing 4 bolts that supposedly hold the outer pulley in the manual those are not there I really appreciate all this help you are a life saver I will try to find the mark on valve cover and line everything up I am sure the spark plug wires were placed wrong in the cap so I will try this first and also remove the ground wire from the starter

well it failed to start once a

well it failed to start once again so I am going to replace timing belt and retime from scratch can I use an automotive timing belt and what auto engine would this compare to?

"244, 245, 740..., it doesn&#3

"244, 245, 740..., it doesn't matter, as all the 4 cylinder, 8 valve OHC Volvos have the same timing belt. Dayco DY95032 or equivalent."

">>okay I belive my sp

">>okay I belive my spark plug wires in dist are messsed up I see a #1 marked on the cap but it is in betwwen 2 posts how do I know which one is #1 also I am following the Seloc manual and on my crankshaft pulley there does not seem to be any bolts on the outer pulley is that possible? I am totaly confused as nothing really looks the same as in manual I do not see any timing mark on valve cover either?<<

About the distributor:

Line up crank to 6BTDC. Look at the rim of the distributor body. There is a mark indicating TDC. Note the position. Replace the cap. The #1 TDC plug wire should line up with this. When installing the distributor, remove the cap, look at the alignment of the flange and the bolt hole in the block. Midpoint is roughly the position for installing the distributor. Before installing, rotate the distributor gear clockwise (not counterclockwise as stated earlier) 20-30 degrees. The rotor will point right of TDC on the distributor. Because of the 12 spiral gear teeth, when installing the distributor the rotor will be seen to rotate counterclockwise to line up with the mark on the distributor rim or very nearly so. Following this, hook up an ohmeter to the points wire, ground to block or distributor body. Rotate dist clockwise and observe when resistance is infinite (points open). This is Correct timing."

"Sounds as if you are running

"Sounds as if you are running around the boat, and not in the boat........
Why would you just replace the timing belt on assumption that it is out of time?
You really should make a physical check of what we are saying on this discussion.
You need to make a mechanical check of the belt, and distributor."

"volvo 240 is from 79-82. It d

"volvo 240 is from 79-82. It doesn't matter though, cause its the same block for a number of years."

I am replacing the belt becaus

I am replacing the belt because on further inspection it is frayed and rinding to the front of the timing gears

"I got mine locally through a

"I got mine locally through a performance shop...Called Tennessee Speed Sport. There should be something of that caliber where you are. If not, you can go to the pertronix web site and order direct.It makes a BIG difference in starting a boat. Mine fires right up on about half a crank."

OK finally got the front of th

OK finally got the front of the engine torn down I dont see any timing mark on crankshaft gear is there an easy way to get this gear off without ruining anythging else mine seems to be frozen on I had to use a puller to take off vibration dampner!

Back